The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 07:11 PM

tledoux is on a distinguished road
Default A newbe with some questions

I know Fly fishing can be very expensive to get set up properly. I have watched videos, went to several fly fishing shops online and have one question. In most shops you are going to pay between $45 to $95 for fly line. I went to Big R here in Trinadad Co and they had Fly line for $17. And the man behind the counter didn't seem to knowledgeable about anything as far as fishing went. So as a person just getting started into Fly fishing is it really imperative that I go spend $45 to $95 dollars just on line? I know they say line is the most important part to presenting the fly to the fish But is that just to get you to shell out the cash or is it true. Thank you.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:21 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A newbe with some questions

First of all, welcome! I use a number of lines that are more like 25 - 35 bucks and they work great. Let us know What fish are you targeting? What kind of water (lake, river, small stream, etc)? Do you know what weight rod you're getting? Perhaps we can point you towards more affordable options that will work fine for your fishing.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's always lines that are "on sale" or being closed out.

Personally, I use $10 factory second lines almost exclusively and don't feel handicapped by that at all despite what people might say about the need to "buy the best line you can afford"
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:14 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i rarely pay more than $20 for a line, and often less than $10. Buy mill end lines. I guarantee you'll be hard pressed to find the difference between those and top branded lines.

Risen Fly has fly lines for around $15 i believe.
mcnerney likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 06-17-2013, 08:24 PM

tledoux is on a distinguished road

I just moved to Trinidad Co. right outside of town is Trinidad lake. It has Bass, Cats, Wiper, Crappie, perch, Saugeye, Walleye and Trout(Browns, Cutbow and Rainbows. There is a stream running through the old mining camps that I believe is the same stream running through town I was told is great for Trout in some spots. I am from Louisiana so I am mainly used to catching Cats, But have had this old Fly rod I picked up at a yard sale. The name and info is all rubbed off. It is 8 1/2 foot rod with a Johnson JF1000 reel. So I have No idea what to rig it up with. I am 66 and have breathing issues so I won't be going out drudging up and down streams :-( So any information you can give me will be appreciated. If I catch anything I will be Happy :-)
Old 06-18-2013, 05:44 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Not to jack the thread but where do you guys find these less expensive lines ??

and welcome to the forum. LOL
stenacron likes this.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:48 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome aboard!

You'll need to figure out the weight of the rod so you know the proper size line. There may be other methods, but I only know to take it to a knowlegeable shop where they'll have some reels already spooled. They can cast it with a few till they get a good match. I go to my local cabelas.

Others might know of other ways.

As far as expensive lines, I use the cheaper myself and make it work. I use cabelas prestige line for someling like $30. Product reviews were almost always good and it works fine. Be sure to use cleaner/dressing frequently to keep it healthy and to help it run through the yes of the rod smoothly. You can get that at the fly shop.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:48 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
Not to jack the thread but where do you guys find these less expensive lines ??
Whew! I thought it was just me.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-18-2013, 10:23 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

My bad, the Risen Lines are $25, but they often have discounts. sign up for emails, or join the social media pages on their site to keep you in the loop.

via ebay uk abut $22 shipped.

Addicted To Vise
Old 06-18-2013, 10:29 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I get most of mine HERE, although the last bunch of lines that I bought came out of a barrel in the LLBean flagship store in Freeport.... same price