The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By jaybo41
  • 2 Post By ditz
  • 2 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM

shug11 is on a distinguished road
Default New Waders

So my wife bought me new waders for Fathers day since my old one would fill up with so much water I had my own little creek in my pants.

So wanting to take care of these as much as I can so they don't end up like my old ones, do I need to do anything before I use them? Should I put aquaseal on the seams? I was very negligent on my old waders, and thus the reason why it leaks so much so I'd like to avoid having the same problem on these.

Any help would be great.. thanks!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Waders

Nice Father's Day gift, kudos to your wife! Right out of the box, they should be OK as is. I wouldn't Aquaseal until you have to but you could always look at your last waders to see the heavy wear areas and then apply it on your new ones. Remember, a little goes a long way with Aquaseal.

What you want to in order to prolong the life is dry them inside out first, then flip them to the inside. You should store them inside and not in a hot vehicle for prolonged periods of time. Once a year, you can wash them on a gentle cycle with either a gentle powder detergent like Ivory or one of the liquids that leave no residue. Detergent that washes out is key.

I've had very good results with this:

Atsko Sport Wash 1L Bottle (34 wash) : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors Atsko Sport Wash 1L Bottle (34 wash) : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors
fredaevans and shug11 like this.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I am in the process of replacing a cheap pair of rubber boot foot waders that lasted me 10 years.(
$50) I always hung them by the boots when not used but I kept them in a unheated garage. I only used them in the spring and fall. It is too hot down here to wear in the summer. I believe the reason they lasted so long was the way I stored them by hanging upside down and out of the sun light. Just my opinion. I intend to replace them with breathable stocking foot models and I hope they will extend the wearing season.
jaybo41 and shug11 like this.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:23 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
What you want to in order to prolong the life is dry them inside out first, then flip them to the inside. You should store them inside and not in a hot vehicle for prolonged periods of time. Once a year, you can wash them on a gentle cycle with either a gentle powder detergent like Ivory or one of the liquids that leave no residue. Detergent that washes out is key...
Good advice, sort of. The agitators in top loading machines can damage the taped seams in waders (especially in the neoprene booties). If you have a front loading washing machine, you should not have any issues. I wash my waders in a large wash basin using Nikwax Tech Wash (similar to what jaybo posted).

Since at this point that the waders are clean, it is a good time to revitalize the water repellant coating. My preference is Nikwax TX Direct Spray. Just follow the instructions.

Dennis
jaybo41 and shug11 like this.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:56 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Good point on the top loader machines Dennis.

Ditz, good point about hanging boots, especially boot foots. Hanging them upside down will help the seal between the leg and boot last. When I hang my breathables, I make a concerted effort to make sure the feet are on the floor when hanging.
shug11 likes this.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:43 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

What are they made of to start with? I would recommend hanging them by the top so the moisture inside can evaporate if you can't reverse them to dry the inside first.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:56 AM

shug11 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. Great tips that I'll be sure to follow. Especially the tip about hanging them upside down. Something I never knew about but makes perfect sense. My old waders, I would just find a hook in the garage, hang them, and forget about them. I'll be sure to try and take better care of these guys.

I also thought you couldn't wash them as the waterproof material can disintegrate? Or is that a myth I read about?

It must have been the same place I read that said I should seal my seams before using my waders... Or did I just imagine all this up?

Anyways, keep them coming guys. Rockriver, they are your typical waders. Fish and Stream Sportsman waders with neoprene boots. Nothing expensive, which is the reason why I was hoping I could things to them to make them last longer.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:21 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

All good info there so I'll just add a minor thought. If the waders have an inseam that goes up the inside of your leg, this will be the heavy ware place. 'Rubbing/chuffing' as you walk.

If this becomes a issue get some tent repair tape (at least 1.5 inches wide) and glue this over the inseams.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:08 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
You should store them inside and not in a hot vehicle for prolonged periods of time.
Amen to that, brother! I made that mistake........ruined a good pair.