The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 01:47 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Solve the puzzle

I went fishing yesterday and it was raining. But there were a lot of brown drakes out and the fish were rising. The best fish was rising at the arrow. Water is flowing left to right. Location is surrounded by snags upstream and on each side.

There is deep water between me and the fish, no room for a backcast. I can't get directly downstream from the fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is where I had to cast from, I am about 15 feet away. This is the best place from which to cast.

This is what I caught, a nice Brook Trout.

So solve the puzzle. What would you do? How would you cast the fly and where would you aim?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solve the puzzle

Silver: Interesting dilemma, I'm sure I would have snagged onto one of the several pieces of brush regardless of the cast.

Nice fish by the way, congrats!

Old 06-18-2013, 04:09 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

I would sneak around to the other bank, crawl through the woods until I was far enough up to not spook the fish.

Then just drop a dry into the current and float it straight downstream to where he's rising. Give it a big twitch to make sure he sees it when it's just on top of him.

What do you think of my strategy?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:38 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Diamond,

You can actually also cross the stream above and float the fly down to the fish. I think your method has a good chance of hooking the fish.

But it would be difficult to land the fish from the upstream side. There are sunken branches on both sides and one above the fish as you can see from the photo. You would need to bring the fish up and through the sunken branches.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-18-2013, 07:12 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

Several approaches come to mind. Stay at that sport and roll cast to the left side of the debris (arrow) and behind it. Or move into the middle of the creek, if possible, then that may open up the possibility of hitting three sides of the debris. Or you could try the other bank. NICE fish by the way !!!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 PM

The oval is where I cast to catch the fish.

Why did I cast BEHIND the rise? Isn't that behind the trout? Well here is my reasoning.

I knew that I could not land the fish by floating a fly down to it from above because of the debris in the water above the rises.

So my only choice was to try to cast from where I was.

Normally when we see a fish rising, we cast well ABOVE the rise. In open water, a feeding fish normally holds above the rise point, and he drifts back and up to take the fly. So we cast above the rise and let the fly come into his window.

In this case, I cannot cast above his rise point from my position because the leader or the fly would get tangled in the branch closest to me. That would shut down the fish.

The key to catching this fish is if the fish is holding deep enough or back far enough that his window includes the area behind the rise point that is free of snags. We normally think of the window as only being in front of the fish, but the window is a circular cone that includes the area to the side and behind the fish's eyes. The diameter of the window is twice the depth the fish is holding. So if the fish is holding 18 inches deep, the window is 3 feet in diameter.

My only chance was to cast behind the obstructions, and hope his window went back that far; or that if the fly was out of his window, the impression of the fly landing on the water would get his attention.

I used a sidearm roll cast to gain a bit of downstream angle on the cast and I gradually worked my cast from downstream to upstream. If you try to make a perfect first cast to just barely miss the leafy branch, you could hook the branch and it would be all over. But if you gradually work your fly from downstream to upstream, you may find that you don't need that perfect cast, because the fish can see further back than you think he can.

The other good thing about where I cast, is that when the fish took the fly, it was even further downstream and away from the snags. I was able to pull him further downstream and away from the debris.

Normally, you don't want to land a fly directly in the window, but in this case, my hope was the window was large enough for me to hit the back part of it.
mcnerney, williamhj and theboz like this.

Silver

Old 06-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Silver: Kudos for figuring through that tough situation!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:32 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Talk about analyzing a drift! That is very smart and by the results very well done! My thought would have been to hang the back of the leader on the wood directly to the side of the rise (upstream ) and have the rest of the leader complete the short drift to the spot of the rise and hopefully be able to lift the back of the leader off on the take! Your method seems less precarious ! Nice job!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
My thought would have been to hang the back of the leader on the wood directly to the side of the rise (upstream ) and have the rest of the leader complete the short drift to the spot of the rise and hopefully be able to lift the back of the leader off on the take! Your method seems less precarious ! Nice job!
Thanks for the very kind words. Sometimes things work out but believe me, I was fortunate that it did.

Your idea also has merit. It is a technique I call the "overland" cast.

I use it occasionally on this very stream during the summer months when the tall grass bends from the edge of bank over the stream. Occasionally there is a fish feeding on the other side of the bent grass next to the bank. I cast over the grass and it acts like a tent holding up my tippet and I get a very good float. But it is a one shot deal because I often catch the fly on the grass if the fish doesn't take.

I have used this same strategy to lay a leader over a boulder in the water to get a getter drift. It is a good suggestion.

Silver