The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 09:31 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of
Default Bug off !

It's that time of the year. We all look foreward to the hatches, but not to the nasty,biting,annoying,swarming bugs that can ruin a trip to the water, or worse, ruin your health. There is a lot of new technology out there, but I seem to stay with 30% Deet.What's newer,safer and more effective this year ?
What do you use to repel the little critters when you're outdoors ?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bug off !

I do the same as you are using, luckily I haven't had to use any yet this year.
Reminds me of living in Alaska, there it was 100% DEET or you felt the skeeters wrath!

It will be interesting to hear if there is anything new/better out.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

thermacell if you dont know what it is google it and get one. i bowhunt sika deer on the eastern shore swamps of MD.where we have swarms of skeeters the size of blackbirds. without the thermacell its impossible. turn this ittle bay on and in ten minutes no bugs.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

Thanks dpreller ! I know what you mean about big skeeters. I grew up in south Florida. I had to shoot a mosquito once. It was flying away with my hunting dog ! ( first story teller don't stand a chance )
The reviews on thermacel are intestering. How well does it work if you are on the move ? Is it efective while wading ?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Good thing about living here in So. Oregon is we have Laws and Regulations that 'Ban Bighty Bugs.' Well, there are a few ..... We need to close the boarder with Kalifornia to the South.

But elsewhere ... heavy long sleve shirts, pant, broad brim hat with netting hanging down to your middle. Surgical rubber gloves .....

Finally said 'I am not having fun' and packed it away until winter fishing season.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:51 AM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreller View Post
thermacell if you dont know what it is google it and get one. i bowhunt sika deer on the eastern shore swamps of MD.where we have swarms of skeeters the size of blackbirds. without the thermacell its impossible. turn this ittle bay on and in ten minutes no bugs.
Seriously! I do not step out into the woods or river without one. They will repel any flying biting bug out there.

While birding I have had people walk next to me just for the effects of my Thermacell. I have gotten a ton of people hooked on these things. Not to sound like a commercial but they just plain work.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Thanks dpreller ! I know what you mean about big skeeters. I grew up in south Florida. I had to shoot a mosquito once. It was flying away with my hunting dog ! ( first story teller don't stand a chance )
The reviews on thermacel are intestering. How well does it work if you are on the move ? Is it efective while wading ?
Movement is fine. You will still get a couple of feet worth of protection around you. I have used mine in some pretty stiff breezes with pretty good results. (Fishing and photographing shorebirds)

Works the same on the water as in the woods. Still get the same level of protection. Unless of course you submerge it. If that happens you are pretty much done.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-19-2013, 04:57 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Good advice so far. I would add that lighter shades of clothing help deter the hoards that can descend upon you. Light earth tone colors work best like beige, grey, pale greens, pale blues. Most flies prey upon dark colored animals so try to blend into the background you fish in.
Black, browns, navy blues, dark greens will all attract more bugs than not. Other tips include breathing through your nose instead of mouth since bugs hone in on your CO2 and heat signature. Try not to get winded when walking around.
troutnut4 and siege like this.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:31 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I did some bush whacking Sunday night in hopes of topwater smallies and largies. The area I was fishing is notorious for it's mosquito and tick population so I drowned myself in 100% deet.

It worked great for the ticks..not a single one on me. The mosquitoes on the other hand couldn't have cared less. They were relentless in their pursuit of my blood. Luckily I was pretty much covered from head to toe with clothing so only 25% of them got through.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's one thing that works like magic on black flies.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:38 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Spray your clothes add vest with premethrin treatment (Repel).

Permethrin Treated Clothing

Then I use picaridin insect repellant that is non greasy and safe for fly lines. Cutter Advanced is 7% and Sawyer picaridin is 20%.

http://www.basspro.com/Sawyer-reg-Pr...duct/10216752/

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy