The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiny Creek Brookies

Another suggestion I have is that when walking upstream along the stream bank, carry the fly rod with the rod tip facing backward.

This is why. Suppose a right handed fisher is walking upstream along the left left bank, carrying the rod facing forward in his right hand. This is typically the way a fly rodder will carry his rod since it is then ready to cast should he see a rise. When you do this, the rod tip can wave over the edge of the stream and spook a fish that lying along the bank.

If you carry the rod facing backward, you will not spook fish ahead of you with the rod tip.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-12-2013, 05:26 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

With respect to the two specific questions that you asked: Yes, upstream casts with a long leader would probably be helpful.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:29 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Silver great post on the trouts eye view! I picked the same spot as you on the puzzle as my first choice but as an alternate I choose the bottom of the run to the left. To much aeration to ignore as well as a good bank!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-12-2013, 05:52 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

pikefisher69

i know that trout season in WI is now closed...

since this thread has been reborn i would suggest staying hidden in the grass and maybe a long rod with a dapping technique?

are you talking about some streams close to Milwaukee or Waukesha county?