The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By enolaeagle
  • 2 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 11:38 AM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough
Default My trout set up is annoying me...

I have a browning graphite rod (4-5) with 5w double taper line (cortland). It's 7 feet long and never had an issue years ago but that was before I got into spey and roll casting.

My bass rig is fine and my new set up for bigger game gave me no issues. The last week, I've been using my trout rod and simply cannot execute what I can with my other rods so here's the questions...

Should I switch to 4wt line (WF)?
Is the rod too short for spey casting?
Is it a combination of both of the listed above?

My first thought is that the rod is a bit light weight and short for the 5w line with properly loading it for a spey cast.

I origininally learned on my bass rig with level line and that helped a lot, especially the difference when switching to a wf line. It has been a little frustrating with the 5w because although I can move the line, it won't shoot straight, leaving too much slack at the last 3-4 feet. All that said, my leader seems to be fine with no tangles etc...

Any suggestions?

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: My trout set up is annoying me...

Hi Todd,

A single hand rod Spey style cast can be done with any length rod. What will be the effect of shorter rods is the distances you will be able to comfortably fish. I use a 6'3" rod with a #5 line for small stream fishing. Because I know that my range for casting is short I enjoy using the rod.

On of the biggest issues that fly fishermen run into is that they want distance. Sometimes this distance is a need based reality. Other times we are driven by the idea that short casts just aren't very manly and so we want more distance. Whenever we stretch our casting distance most fly casters pay for the additional length of cast with decreased accuracy and timing control. This is when the bad stuff happens, people get hooked, rods get hit with flies or weights, and knots occur. I can remember almost every time I ever hooked a fish when casting over 70', they aren't many. I can also remember the hundreds & hundreds of fish I spooked almost at my rod tip while I was concerned with reaching out to mid stream or farther.......

All of the advice I offer is based on how I learned to cast and fish, not on what I saw on You Tube lately. I believe that any rod and line can be mastered within the parameters of the tackles & the caster's abilities. I would find the range for your existing rig that you can handle & handle well. From there I would slowly reach the point where I knew the limitations of myself & my gear. This often takes a few days of fishing to sort out thoroughly but once you are there, you may then be ready to consider what if anything you may actually need for enjoyable fishing.

In short; if you can cast a bad rod well, you will cast a good rod really well.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-20-2013, 02:47 PM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough

Thanks!

I can say that I wasn't going for distance. I was anywhere from 15 - 25 ft. Seemed like I was pulling my fly while fighting the current istead of letting things work in my favor.

Its probably me (operator error). While I'm used to a lake or big rivers, these small streams seam to be a bit more challenging especially casting the short distance. All that said, I had an inkling that a slight change in line could help but that probably isn't the issue. I'm probably over thinking the use and size of the rod when it could be a simple tweak in technique when changing to the smaller rig.
Hardyreels likes this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-20-2013, 04:19 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard obviously gave you some pretty sound advise. All I can add at this point is if you need or want to mess around with new lines, look at the different tapers of them. I have a 7wt that I do some single hand spey roll casts with, it's a 10 footer with medium-medium fast action. The line I have on it now is the Rio Indicator line, which has a pretty weighty and long head on it. It does indicator fishing well and can get the streamers where I need them. I'm not necessarily advocating this line for you but wanted to make the point that a line with a longer head or one with more mass similar to skagit lines might make a difference for you. Shameless plug here: I do have this line in a 4wt, and it just didn't work on the rod I had it on. I'd be happy to part with it if you're interested, it's in great shape and taking up space.

I'm not familiar enough to comment on what might work best with your rod since I have no experience with it and let's face it, line's aren't cheap. They can make a significant difference though on how rods perform. Sweetandsalt has posted many times about he and his comrades getting together for a fly line testing summit. Back to what Ard said, learning how to make what you have work will pay dividends in the long haul.
Hardyreels and enolaeagle like this.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 AM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

I believe that rod action also makes a big difference when roll casting. I feel that slower action rods roll cast much more efficiently than fast action rods. I have a very stiff and very fast action 9'0'' 6wt and it is all but useless to roll cast with.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

rod action is part of it, but efficient loading of the rod with the line (whether its DT or WF) is just as important. If the rod doenst have the energy, then its cant cast. the line give the energy, your arm is just the mechanics to get the rod to do what you want it to

Addicted To Vise