The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 12:11 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Headed to Estes Park Colorado in mid July-

Hello all-

I am planning a quick trip out to Longmont Co in mid July and I will have one day to fish the Park or surrounding area. I'll be taking a 7'6 3wt Winston and the usual arsenal of flies.

Any tips on what area to focus on would be greatly appreciated. I prefer streams and rivers over still water fishing.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:16 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Headed to Estes Park Colorado in mid July-

I liked fishing roaring river and fall creek in the national park. I wanted to fish moraine park but never got about to it. Also the big thompson running thru town yeilded several fish for me. I was able to complete the rocky mountain grand slam in a week while out there.
russellb likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Thanks Geoff-

I will look those to streams up, what size are they?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:47 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Little bity ones that are the best kinds to fish.

This is Fall River....its a small creek that winds thru stands of trees and meadow.
Click the image to open in full size. was loaded with browns and brookies. I missed my biggest brown of the trip about a half mile from this picture. would have gone about 18", still brings a tear to my eye

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-20-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Little bity ones that are the best kinds to fish.

This is Fall River....its a small creek that winds thru stands of trees and meadow.
Click the image to open in full size. was loaded with browns and brookies. I missed my biggest brown of the trip about a half mile from this picture. would have gone about 18", still brings a tear to my eye
Perfect, I'm in...
Old 06-20-2013, 02:51 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Last year, I fished the catch and release section of the Big Thompson from the dam on down. (total length is about two miles. Below that is plenty more water if you'd like to be alone. Park alongside the highway.

What I heard repeatedly: caddis, caddis, caddis. That seemed to be the ticket, as all my fish were on Elk Hair Caddis along the banks.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:28 PM

jadams3616 will become famous soon enough

I live about 30 minutes east of Estes. All the options you guys listed are good. Dont look past the Big T in Morrain Park either. Lots of cut banks to fish under and it can hold some pretty good fish. I caught this guy up there memorial day.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 06-20-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams3616 View Post
I live about 30 minutes east of Estes. All the options you guys listed are good. Dont look past the Big T in Morrain Park either. Lots of cut banks to fish under and it can hold some pretty good fish. I caught this guy up there memorial day.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Whoa! That's a fine fish, well done! MMMM Big T, I suppose it would be possible to do a half day on Fall Creek and a half on the T, or not?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Russel,

I have nothing to add but wanted to say Hi anyway You've been quiet here for quite a while.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Russel,

I have nothing to add but wanted to say Hi anyway You've been quiet here for quite a while.

Ard
Hello Ard- finally work has slowed where I can get back to the more important things in life...