The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 12:13 PM

alt1001 is on a distinguished road
Default 5w for surf fishing?

Heading to Oak Island next month and the largest rod I have is a 5w. I have used it fine for largemouth and smallies but what about fishing the surf? I don't have a dedicated saltwater setup because I'm not there much.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: 5w for surf fishing?

Until someone who is currently fishing the salt replies I'll tell you what I know.

I've done it for sea trout and croaker, even caught a few flounder with mine. I would stay away from blues or any other larger species. Keep the leader strength down around 10 pound so there is no chance of having too much strain on your rod. You'll want to use a heavy butt section with a short mid then the ten pound tip section. Think on the order of 3 - 4' of 25 lb, then 2' of 15 lb, tipped with 2' or so of 10 lb. This will allow you to turn over some rather large salt flies. If you use Deceiver's and the like with Zinc eyes, watch out that you don't whack your rod tip by trying to cast too far.

Distance will not be so good with large flies but remember, it's the Ocean. There should be fish nearer to you than you think. Get a tide book at a tackle & bait shop and know when the tides are full and fish them coming in and at slack tide. That's how I fished the Eastern Shore long ago and managed some fish doing it.

Good luck and don't wade too deep,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

If conditions are ideal you could pull it off. Your two biggest obstacles will be the size of the flies you try to cast and the wind. If you can find a place to hide from the wind you'll be ok, if not you'll spend a lot of time cursing...
thewalker1013 and pa dave like this.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'll admit it. I do not do much surf fishing. I have done it, but I used an eight weight because I had to sling a T-11 shooting head. Can you get away with a five weight? It has been done.

Here is a link to Glenn Yoshimoto's website. He regularly uses a six weight, but you can get the jist of what he is doing. If you scour through his reports, you may find that he used a three weight just for kicks.

Dennis

PS: Make sure to give your rig a thorough cleaning after fishing.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

PS: Make sure to give your rig a thorough cleaning after fishing.
Don't worry. I learned that lesson the hard way with my spinning gear.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:07 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A 5wt in the surf ? I can't picture that ever working.
In a saltwater estuary ? Maybe but not ideal.
I know a guy that claims to fish the salt with a 3wt, but as far as I'm concerned he just does that to show off.
Not only are the baits that you're trying to match much larger than fresh water baits, but the wind..... Casting big flies into the wind with a 5wt just wouldn't be fun.
That said, when I started fly fishing the salt some 35 years ago I used a glass 6wt and the only 2 streamers that I knew how to tie. The MickyFinn and black nose dace bucktails, and I had fun even though I didn't do all that well.
People use 6wts in the salt regularly, but they're heavier duty than your average fresh water rod.

http://www.edmitchelloutdoors.com/Ar...alty%20Six.pdf
Old 06-20-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
If conditions are ideal you could pull it off. Your two biggest obstacles will be the size of the flies you try to cast and the wind. If you can find a place to hide from the wind you'll be ok, if not you'll spend a lot of time cursing...
I was actually going to fish the same streamers I use for largemouths. The wind on Oak Island usually isn't too bad. The OBX is a different story however. I am not really gearing my trip around fishing, I am just looking to hook anything, except skates...... I hate them things!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:15 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt1001 View Post
I was actually going to fish the same streamers I use for largemouths. The wind on Oak Island usually isn't too bad. The OBX is a different story however. I am not really gearing my trip around fishing, I am just looking to hook anything, except skates...... I hate them things!
Well, the good thing about Oak Island is if you have a N, NE, or even a NW wind you can probably get away with the the 5wt. It won't be ideal, but you may be able to get it done.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:20 PM

I might try to find local fly shop to see they have larger rods to rent.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Why not just pick up a cheap 8-wt if you're not going to make this a regular thing? Even a low-end 8-wt will probably work better than your 5 if there's any wind or if you're trying to cast larger saltwater flies.

Take a look at Cabela's Cahill Fly Rod and Reel Outfit : Cabela's , particularly the 9 foot 8 weight.

For $40, it's hard to go very wrong, even if you throw it away after your trip. Spend another $30 or so for a handful of Deceivers, Clousers, and shrimp patterns, and bring along a few of your larger bass poppers and you'll be set.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.