The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 04:19 PM

Matttrick is on a distinguished road
Default Help me choose a Sinking line for my 4wt

Mods, please move the thread if needed. I didn't see a specific forum or discussion on different lines.

I'm also looking for a either a sink tip line or a full sinking line. Since I'll be fishing a slow moving river where the sand bass hang out in deeper holes most of the time, I need something to get the clouser down there fast. Should I be looking for a sink tip or a full sinking line? Or should I consider a line where I can change the tip? I'll be using a my 4wt TFO finesse rod so I'd like a line that compliments the action of the rod.

I've glanced at the RIO DC full sinking lines as well as a couple of different Cortland lines. Can someone(s) provide other recommendations for me to check?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me choose a Sinking line for my 4wt

I have said this before, but I PERSONALLY prefer full sink over sink tip. No line mending so to speak. But keeping some tension on the line and follow it down.
I just think full sinks are much easier to cast than a sink tip. It seems sink tips are either not long enough or they are so heavy, you have to slow way down.
I value the tip of my rod to use a lot of Split shot even though I cast to the side to prevent that from happening.
There are many here that like the sink tips, so lets wait and read what the other side of the coin is.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:24 PM

Matttrick is on a distinguished road

How much does sink rate matter? Like 3 ips compared with 6 or 7 ips. I assume it's just an issue of how fast you want to get the fly to the bottom if your'e trying to fish the bottom rather than some other point in the water column.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

You answered your own question. All sinking lines, including intermediate, will eventually get to the bottom. I prefer the VII on lakes where I need it to get down to the big fish before all the little dinks hit it.
It is all about getting there fast.
I found out, that even when I deep nymph with a 20' to 30' leader straight down, that by putting a "BB" split shot about 6" up from the bottom fly I am getting bigger and more fish.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Matttrick,

Joni is right there are several members that use different approaches to sinking lines.

There are two lines I have used that would be useful for you. The first option is a line like the SA wet tip line. It has a short sinking tip intra grated with a floating line. It is available in different sink rates and has a Graduated-density sink tip. A weighter fly will help get the fly deeper.

The next option is a line like the SA Wet Tip Express that is like a shooting head with a floating running line. The Wet Tip Express also is a Graduated-density line. The sinking line is close to 30' long. This line is similar to the Jim Teeny fly lines.

I prefer the SA Wet Tip line but in a 4wt the sinking tip will only be 7' long. I fished a line like this all over Alaska but it was with an 8wt and the sink tip was longer. One thing you have to be careful with is not to over load your rod with too heavy of a tip. With a 4wt you should have a head that weighs 150 grains. So even if you get a 30' sinking head you don't want it to weigh more than 150 grains. Remember that you must get the sinking part of the line back to the surface, or close to the surface, before you start you back cast.

Frank