The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By caseywise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road
Default Is a Honda CRV a good SUV for fishing?

I may have to part with my F-150. My company relocated and my commute is going from 9 mins to 30 each way, not to mention meeting around town several days a week. $90/week for gas is simply too costly and does not include fishing. Wife likes the Honda CRV. We looked at one and all my gear will fit, drives nice too and neighbor says it is fine in snow. I live in CO and really don't venture too far off the beaten path, just some gravel roads mostly. Anybody have a CR-V?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Is a Honda CRV a good SUV for fishing?

good for fishing and camping!! imo

Click the image to open in full size.

casey
Hardyreels and troutnut4 like this.

ARFE
Old 06-20-2013, 11:46 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

My Honda Odyssey 2011 is my fishing vehicle with good milage, I can bring my 9FT fly rods fully rigged and ready to fish. With the Yakima rack, I can have my Ocean Kayak T13 on top and still can carry a trailer in the back for camping.
But not an SUV.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:31 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Is a Honda CRV a good SUV for fishing?

I have to second the comment by casey. My wife's '06 has been extremely dependable, low cost to maintain and carries a ton of gear. Just what you would expect from a Honda.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:59 AM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

I had the same dilemma when we recently moved. I strongly suggest you consider the price of a new car plus the cost of gas to determine when you will break even.

If you can't afford $360 a month for gas then, assuming the CRV is approximately twice as fuel efficient, how can you afford $300 car payment + $180 gas = $480/month for the next 5 years?

I ran this exercise and decided to keep my Excursion which gets 10mpg. It also makes a great fishing vehicle. I ended up buying a beater which gets 34mpg for $2000. I'll break even commuting in about 18 months.

That said, if there are other factors such as you really want a new vehicle, the CRV is a really great car. As far as fishing goes, an f150 is also great.

Best of luck with your decision!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

If the truck is already paid off, then it doesn't make sense to buy a new vehicle that gets better gas mileage for the sole sake of "saving money on gas".

Aggie's breakdown is pretty much spot on
Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

While I don't think that I would have ever bought a car that got only 10mpg in the first place, I have to agree with aggieoutlaw about "different cars for different purposes"
I have a truck for when I need to do 'truck things" and a economy car for commuting and putzing around.
The 20 year old Honda Civic still get 46mpg and that's nothing to sneeze at.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:39 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

The Honda CRV is an excellent minivan.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:11 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The "Silver Hornet," an older Honda CRV is Jason and Kelly Borger's fishing vehicle.

http://fishfliesandwater.com/2011/06...s-of-disarray/

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-21-2013, 01:03 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've had 2 CRV's in the past, ('97 & '02) and agree they're great vehicles! Two of the best I've ever owned, and I can't say anything bad about Honda either. The few experiences I had where I needed warranty or other work done, they backed their vehicle 100%. I also dealt with 2 dealers, one I purchased both vehicles from & the other (closer to me) did some maintenance & warranty work. I never got the feeling I was being shafted dealing with either one! Good folks!

My only problem with CRV's was my youngest son. He wrecked both of them!

I now own Fords. Fords have treated me well too. My wifes Escape XLT is a 2010 model. We have a few more years to pay on it. She gets about 25-27 mpg with it. My F150 is a 2006, it's paid for & I get about 23mpg. It's a 6 cylinder with a 36 gallon fuel tank. I fill up about once a month when I get down to about half a tank. Most of my driving with the truck is commuting back & forth to work, which is 19 miles one way.

With an 8 ft bed it hauls my 16ft Gheenoe around just fine!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!