The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 PM

arsalan is on a distinguished road
Default Sage VXP, TFO BVK, or Red Truck Diesel for Bonefishing

Hey Guys,
I've been itching to go bonefishing, but don't have an 8 weight rod yet. Right now I am looking at the Sage VXP, TFO BVK, and the Red Truck Diesel by Leland, all in the 9' 8 weight configuration. If anyone has any experience with these rods, or any other fast action 8 weight rods for under $500, please let me know. Thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 02:23 AM

almonde will become famous soon enoughalmonde will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage VXP, TFO BVK, or Red Truck Diesel for Bonefishing

Hi,

I just got back from a flats trip. The 2 8 weights i had for bones were a TFO BVK and Orvis Helios 2. I fished both rods, they had very different lines on them so won't make a direct comparison. I did really enjoy casting the TFO though and it handled fish well. The guide and my boat partner also had a cast of the TFO and both liked it, the guide actually said he thought it was a perfect bonefishing rod. At the price you can't complain. I got mine new on ebay for $190.

Just for your information i paired the rod with a Rio Bonefish Quickshooter (its basically a half line weight heavy, short redfish style taper) and a Nautilus FWX reel.

The H2 was matched with a Mirage reel and Orvis Hydros Bonefish line.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:34 AM

By the way how was the nautilus fwx fly reel. I heard that the drag was very smooth, but lacked a lot of drag power. How did you feel it performed?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:17 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have not touched a Red Truck rod, however, I have fished a BVK and a VXP. For flats fishing, you may enjoy the BVK more. It is lighter and more accurate at longer distances than the VXP. And at its $249 price, you can bring two BVKs down on your flats trip rather than one VXP (think backup rod). However, the VXP felt stiffer in the butt section, so if leaning on a hard running fish is important, the VXP may be the choice.

My first choice for a saltwater reel is draw bar and cork drag Abel or Tibor, but for a budget conscience angler, a Galvan Rush 8 LT will do the job very well. It is a Galvan Torque that is not as machined out. It has a wide range of drag settings, so it will handle anything a Bonefish can dish out. I have sent many of my former customers to Christmas Island with Galvans, and they were happy.

If you get a chance, visit your local shop to test cast these rods and see some reels. Unfortunately the only way to test cast a Red Truck rod is to go to the Leland Ranch in Sonoma, California.

By the way. Where are you going on your trip?

Dennis
Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 PM

I'm heading to Florida for about 3 weeks.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:54 PM

So no one has any information on the Red Truck Rod? There is a great offer that interested me, so any feedback would be helpful in a decision. Thanks.

And the Galvan Rush light fly reels are amazing, I have it in a 10 weight and it is bombproof. One of the best big game fly reels I have seen.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:46 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

I went on my first bonefish trip this past March (to Turneffe Flats in Belize) and brought my 9'6" 8 wt. VXP along with a 9' 8 wt Flight for a back-up. I used a Ross Momentum 4 reel lined with an 8 wt. Rio Tropical line. I've used the VXP for salmon and steelhead, and liked it for bonefish. A 9' might be a bit easier to cast in the wind, but I did fine for my first trip--caught bones every day and the rod cast well and handled them with no problem.

Scott
Old 06-21-2013, 07:17 PM

almonde will become famous soon enoughalmonde will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsalan View Post
By the way how was the nautilus fwx fly reel. I heard that the drag was very smooth, but lacked a lot of drag power. How did you feel it performed?
I'm a little unsure how to answer this, the feel of the reel is nice and and the drag is more than adequate for most bones you'll hook, i didn't have mine cranked down. I think i would crank it down fully for a 10lb bone, but for most bones you'll find the drag strength to be fine. Although compared to the mirage it does seem weak and the Mirage has much better indexing.

The issue i had with the reel was that i felt there was a bit of inertia in the startup of the drag (ie: when the fish ran it would struggle to pull line, then once it started to give line the fish would fly away) and the retrieve felt a bit stiff for my liking. I spoke to Nautilus and they say that it sounds like there is something wrong with the 1-way clutch and have asked for the reel back so they can check it out and fix it. If there is something wrong with it and it comes back better i'd say its a great reel for the price and American made. However if they send it back and say that's the way its meant to be, then i don't think I'd buy another. I'd rather spend the extra on a Hatch Plus or Orvis Mirage.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:10 PM

So if there was a choice between the VXP and BVK rod, which would you choose and why? All opinions are welcome.