The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 10:29 PM

double d is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Fishing ManCave

I would like some advice from anyone who owns a cabin for the simple reason to fly fish. For example: what advice would you have for someone like me that is thinking of buying a lower cost cabin (1-2 bedrooms) in Northern Michigan for the sole reason for fly fishing. I realize that there could be a million questions/answers here, but is this worth the time, effort, money to buy a lower cost cabin (good working order-under $35,000). Thanks in advance.

"It is ourselves that we conquer, not the mountain." Sir Edmund Hillary, 1959
Old 06-22-2013, 10:48 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fly Fishing ManCave

I can't help with the cabin part but have you considered an rv? You can get something nice with a slide or two for under 25k, pay a seasonal or yearly lot rent and save the property taxes.
Here's my cabin

Click the image to open in full size.
double d likes this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-23-2013, 08:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking into this myself and I've found that even the rattiest camps with no land and not even that close to the fishing are going for big money especially if they're close to the snowmobile trails.

But in the same areas that I been looking, there's a few towns facing some serious economic downturn since their local paper mills closed.
There's literally hundreds of houses for sale in that price range and less.
These towns are not exactly resorts, but they are close to where I want to be.
Being in town isn't exactly what I had in mind when I started looking but I'm giving some serious thought to it.
mcnerney, fishiowa and double d like this.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:20 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

If it's just getting 'near' the fishing 35000 dollars will rent a lot of hotel rooms. If you want in the outdoors,,an RV is good option. A cabin is more personal, but you are stuck in one location.

I'm a poor kid, I just toss a tent out of the trunk of the car and call it home.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:33 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Not much up here in the U.P. for 35K any place.
double d likes this.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:59 AM

double d is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the feedback (and keep them coming for those who would like to add to this discussion). Also, the area I'm looking at is in the Baldwin-Wellston area of Michigan (which is the area I fly fish) and I've had some good success in looking at different locations with real estate companies in that area. I'm surprise that one can find some decent property near great fishing in the price range I'm looking at, but who knows, the prices I'm sure are to go up in the next few years (at least that is the theory). Also, I like the idea of an RV, but that too has some hidden costs, but well worth looking into as I didn't think of that option. Thanks again for the ideas, keep them coming!!!

"It is ourselves that we conquer, not the mountain." Sir Edmund Hillary, 1959
Old 06-23-2013, 11:08 AM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

I'm very experienced with RV's and there are hidden costs but not any worse than a fixed structure. Imo, Jayco makes some of the most affordable and best quality trailers on the market but I'll list some of the expense for you along with perks.

*if you have a loan, you can write off a portion of the interest as a vacation home
*Lot rent for the summer (here in Pa) is anywhere from 800 to 2k, depending on the individual campground.
*year round can cost more and some places may have the water shut down if you do a "seasonal-winter" but you can still survive with jugs of water and coolers if you don't want to run the electric.
*make sure you have a tow vehicle or a dealership willing to go on-site for repairs during the warranty period, and after if applicable.
*unlike a cabin, you can pick up and take the fam to the beach for a week.
*hidden costs will include: electric, propane fills, cable or direct tv. Water usage is normally included with lot rent (sometimes electric)
*another cost is insurance. I have the Good Sam insurance so when I'm not traveling on the road, I can remove the collision aspect and save money. The comprehensive end will always be activated because it will either be onsite or in storage.
*things in an rv can break or leak but that's normal...its a matter of getting it fixed in a timely manner whether its you or the dealer. You can also find private companies that do on-site repairs or sometimes the campground has a "Mr. Fix-it" around.

I've never had any major problem with my Jayco (stay away from Keystone). There's been a few minor issues up front that were fixed quick by the dealer but normal things that happen with the "break-in" process of any new rv. Last year I had to reattach my slide out seals at a few spots which was no problem to do myself.

You will also have yearly inspections or whatever the timeframe is in your state but typically, if you're on site with a current plates and registration, you can not get nailed for taxes of a permanant structure (or address).
RV dealers are always good with making sure you have hoses, needed electrical adapters etc... Wheel & Deal em and you'll get that stuff free like they should do
Good hitch equipment is a must but after that, you can roll up, park, slide the slides out, roll the awning down (most are electric now) and go fish!

If you consider shopping for an rv, post them here and I'll tell you if its a POS

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

www.generalrv.com

Michigan Dealer. They have both Jayco (jay flight and eagle) and Forest River Wildwood which are good trailers.

If you plan on sprin, summer and fall camping you can get away with an aluminum siding exterior. Anything for the winter or constant use, you may want the Eagle that has a fiberglass shell exterior with extra insulation.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

In addition, you have to consider the size of the trailer. Nowadays, a large % of the bigger units are 50 amp and definately the ones with 2 air units. Most campgrounds are not newly equipped with upgraded service and you will generally pay more for 50 amp hookups. Many campgrounds frown upon trying to use a 30-50 adapter/surge protector.

Mine is 34 feet with 3 slides, 1 ac (ducted) and 30 amp electric and is well enough to power what I need but the same unit in todays build standards may be 50 amp. A lot of your travel trailers up to 33 feet with one slide are typically 30 amp.

Imo, at least one slideout is a must for additional room and resale.
mcnerney and double d like this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-23-2013, 11:12 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

You could have this for just under $30k.

Custom Teardrop Camping Trailer / Custom TearDrop Camping Trailer -- Orvis
double d likes this.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:40 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

This is the kinda "in town" place that I'm talkin' about and not at all far from where I'd like to fish. $19,900
I should send them a check today

Click the image to open in full size.
williamhj, double d and busbus like this.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:07 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough

It looks like a beautiful old place - however - it might be a liability too. Have an inspector take a critical look. You don't want to get involved with a tear-down or condemnation. Buyer beware ...
mcnerney and double d like this.