The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 06:00 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: An excuse to buy more fly rods

I strongly agree with Silvertip's logic. Shorter pieces make easier clandestine entry.
Then again, I can still hear my old drill sergent bellowing " one excuse is as good as another ".
That works too.
If Momma says to buy another fly rod, who am I to argue with her ?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 PM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip8k View Post
based on the title of this thread I will make this remark... since the advent of the shorter 4 pc rods...there has not really been a reason to get permission slips any more to bring in new fly rods...

Yes there was a time way back when we had to pretend we hurt ouselves playing softball etc (our leg was very straight) and sneak into the house a new two piece purchase... (actually shotguns fell into that category too...)

dont laugh too hard...I bet I hold the record...I worked my PT jobs in fly and hunting shops to acquire all my precious booty......but with new technology we have been set free...

my only advice to get to the next level is this...start to make your own rods...OMG...the possibilities are limitless...t
I actually have an old school rod making kit, probably from the 70's... I never used it because my pap died sometime before my lessons from him were supposed to start.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

Wow, Todd.....There is the answer !
Teach your daughter to build her own fly rod. She can pick the colors, and the wrapping pattern. Who would'nt want to try a rod that they built themselves ?
A time well spent in Daddy/Daughter bonding, and an opportunity to honor your own Dad to boot, by finishing his planned project now that he can't.
Could be right on a lot of levels.......
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:17 PM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough

I actually planned on getting this kit out. It's all over the place in a box and don't even know if all the parts are there. I'll probably have to start a thread in the rod building section for support.

After he died (and until we had the home cleaned out and sold) there was a neighbor that had a house key. I remember my parents mentioning that things were misplaced a few times and then they caught him there one day during the week stealing things. At that point, we quickly boxed alot of things until the house was re-keyed.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-08-2013, 08:25 PM

I emailed Elkhorn to send me a photo of the purple rod that they offer. It looks nice and I showed the wife... and she likes it

So I think I'm going to order that rod at some point soon. Its a 5 piece - 3weight - 8' 6" lenth...

Now I have an idea and maybe you reel experts can offer some tips for me. I have a Martin 63 reel on my 5w trout rod + I have an extra spool that has been sitting around forever. She's not all that concerned about the line color but since noone offers a purple reel, I though of trying to paint the visible side of the spool purple or a purple with glittery look... Any recomendations on preparation and type of paint? I thought of even a better grade spray paint (after sanding) and maybe an epoxy type sealer over top.

I think a 3w line would better suit the reel anyway because of the smaller arbor and could fit some more backing on it (oh yeah... then I can buy myself a new reel)

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 PM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road

Bought gear for both kids & now one still fishes with me all the time & the other fishes from time to time. She happens to outfish her current boyfriend, badly AS she tells the stories on regular basis.

Buy em all the gear they need, it will pay dividends now & in the future...
Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 PM

I have had some sucess repairing chipped reels and spools with nail polish. 'course, that was just black.I'd bet you can find purple with sparkles. Try painting the spare spool first ? I once found some candy apple red metal flake nail polish to fix a scratch on my car. It worked ! It also works on the head of flies.
Good luck, as always, post pics.......umm maybe.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 PM

The spool isn't painted. Its a dull aluminum look. I'll post a pic

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

I would be painting the silver part. The black would stay the same because there's too many moving parts to remove...

Click the image to open in full size.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...