The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CutThroat Leaders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 08:26 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Don't overlook your opportunities...

Like a lot of anglers, I daydream about fishing exotic locales and fishing in new places. Yet, I haven't bothered to fish every place in my own county. So...

yesterday, I headed for a local place I'd never fished. A large pond actually in town, that turned out to be nicely weedy with plenty of shoreline access. Though not much was doing, it's obviously fishy and tucked away in a nice looking piece of woods that gives it a rustic feel if you're looking in the right direction.

Among other things, I play with trying to fly fish in every county of my state (Kansas), and as many states in the union as possible---but not seriously nailing opportunities that are practically out the back door.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't overlook your opportunities...

I agree, I think with all the media we are bombarded with nowdays it is natural to dream of fishing some of those distant exotic places, but you're absolutely correct. It is amazing what a person can find nearby with a little effort. In my case living here in western Wyoming, I don't think a person could cover all this water in a life time, but I'm certainly going to give it a good try, just wish I was 40 years younger (but still retired so I didn't have to have work come in the way of fishing).

Larry
Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all

I often find myself driving by some good local water to get to the "Really Good Water".... I have decent fish within a five minute drive of my house, yet I often pack up the jeep and drive miles to fish. Almost without fail, after every close to home trip, I promise myself to make it happen more often. But I still find myself passing the local rivers while driving to the "Really Good Rivers". Now that I fish often with my 7 yr son, the local water is getting hit more and more often. Much easier and more fun to make a 3 hr trip with a kid than a 10 hr all day trip.
mcnerney likes this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Original: http://www.cutthroatleader.com/
New Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. sales@cutthroatleader.com
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I feel put out if I have to drive more than 5 to 20 min. to the creek. I will be doing a little more though since I bought the yak. I intend to keep it under an hour for 90% of the yak trips too.