The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 AM

shug11 is on a distinguished road
Default Do's and Don'ts of Fishing

I'd like to see if some of the users on here who have more knowledge that I do, can give me some do's and don'ts when it comes to fishing.

For instance, when fishing a hole, if you see someone wading upstream, do you let them have your hole? Or do you keep fishing and let them wade on through? My buddy and I were at our favorite holes last week (it was by a mini waterfall) when a father and son started wading upstream. They came about 40 yards short of the hole we were in and kind of just waited there. It looked as if they were waiting for us to move down from the hole. Not wanting to be greedy, I told my buddy let's move downstream. Was this the right thing to do?

And another instance, as we started moving downstream, we noticed at our 2nd favorite hole that another guy was fishing from shore. River was big enough for us to wade on the other side, but my friend and I just hung around at our current spot until the older man left the spot. Is it ok for us to wade in the hole that he's fishing in? I was about to actually leave the river, and walk to a different hole on land to avoid ruining the hole for the man.

And finally a fish question.. Is it socially acceptable to fish spawning beds? I normally try not to do it to avoid ruining the beds and eggs that might be in it, but there are times that I can't see it's an actual bed, but I get a fish that was just in it. I always thought it was bad to fish spawning fish by their beds?
double d likes this.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do's and Don'ts of Fishing

Shug: I think you did the polite thing, you had fished that spot and someone comes along and is waiting for you to move on, do so and let them have a turn. You will see this same senario on rivers with drift boats, if you are anchored up and fishing a nice spot and see someone pull up and obvisouly waiting for you, be polite and move on and let them have a turn. If I see someone working a pool even though it will be big enough for 2-3 anglers, personally I let them have it, you might wait to see if they will let you have a turn, but personally I won't wade in and fish the same pool. I try never to fish spawning beds, sometimes you hit one without realizing it, but please don't target spawning beds, that is the future of the fish in that river system. Those are just my opinions, YMMV!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 AM

shug11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Shug: I think you did the polite thing, you had fished that spot and someone comes along and is waiting for you to move on, do so and let them have a turn. You will see this same senario on rivers with drift boats, if you are anchored up and fishing a nice spot and see someone pull up and obvisouly waiting for you, be polite and move on and let them have a turn. If I see someone working a pool even though it will be big enough for 2-3 anglers, personally I let them have it, you might wait to see if they will let you have a turn, but personally I won't wade in and fish the same pool. I try never to fish spawning beds, sometimes you hit one without realizing it, but please don't target spawning beds, that is the future of the fish in that river system. Those are just my opinions, YMMV!
Thanks Mcnerney. We were at the hole for a couple hours already, so I didn't want to be greedy and share the wealth (not to mention the bite was slowing down) My buddy was disappointed though when our 2nd hole was busy, so he started complaining that we should have never moved from our original "honey" hole to begin with. I told him to quit whining and that we make our own "honey" hole. About 20 minutes later, he catches one of his biggest smallie this year.

And I try to be respectful on the river, almost like the saying "Treat people the way you want to be treated" so I didn't want to ruin the old man's hole. I later spoke to the older gentleman and he told me he had an old bamboo fly rod that he never learned how to use. I proceeded to tell him that it's never too late to try! And this was after he told me that he ran out of worms and was calling it a day.

And spawning beds are the future, so I try not to ruin it. Sometimes my eyes deceive me though and I can't distinguish if it's a bed or just a pile of rocks. Regardless, all my fishes are released.

Do you guys also tell other fishermen good spots to fish? Or keep it all to yourself?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:08 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

If I run into someone fishing I go around and give them a big part of the stream. I expect the same consideration from others. I do not expect someone to "wade through", spooking everything and kicking up the bottom. I fish small streams, on a large river maybe it's different. If someone wants to wait, I guess they can, but how would they know if I've been there for a few minutes or an hour? And why would they want to fish behind me?
jaybo41 and runningfish like this.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shug11 View Post
Thanks Mcnerney. We were at the hole for a couple hours already,
Not a bad idea to move on. If I've just been fishing a spot for a short bit, I will just let them move around me, but if I've been there a long time I'll move on. Last month I was fishing a long pool with lots of great structure, started at the bottom and worked my way up to the top of it before going home. It was during the week and a few hours from much civilization so there was a lot of open water available. A couple guys showed up at got out of their cars to look at pool but I kept fishing and they moved on. When I choose my spot for the day I avoided turn-outs with other anglers and thought if fair for these guys to do the same.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:44 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Last year one of the coolest things I've seen on a stream happened to me. Chi and I had just started out the morning, had not made it past the first pool and then we heard the dreaded car door. The guy walks part way down to us and asks "Are you guys fishing up or down?" We replied in unison, "UP". Walking back up the hill, he then said, "thanks guys, we'll go down." We heard the car door close and they drove off. Common sense and common courtesy goes along way.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:44 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
The guy walks part way down to us and asks "Are you guys fishing up or down?"
That's the question I always ask in the rare instances I happen onto another fisherman.

Usually, it's someone whose car I didn't see when I arrived. If I'd seen his car, it's more likely I would have just gone somewhere else.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:45 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you REALLY have the 'hole' to yourself, don't toss tennis balls for your Yellow Lab. Guys pounded the place for three hours and "Zip;" I pounded the place for an hour and "Zip."

Out comes the ball tosser as Sandy needs the 'excer-size' (spelling intended-an over weight almost 11 Yellow Lab) and a bath. You can always tell, he starts smelling like an aromatic 'cheese.' No kidding, not the least unpleasant, but cheese never the less. (If I had to pick one, room temperature Bree?)
russellb likes this.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:33 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Do- Have fun, you are standing in the middle of a river wearing waders, talking to a creature with brain the size of a pea.

Don't- Take yourself too seriously. You are standing in the middle of a river wearing waders, talking to a creature with brain the size of a pea.

Do- Stop, look around you and smile. YOU are fishing, not digging a ditch, pouring concrete or any other laborious task. IF fishing becomes this, walk away, have a beer and refocus.

Don't- Take yourself too seriously.

Do- Fish the seams. This is the natural edges of shallow and deep water, areas were pebbles give way to rocks or a moss line meets stream bed.

Do- Smile, laugh and relax.
Gerard, fredaevans, busbus and 1 others like this.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:57 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I'd go the other way on this one. I don't think there is a right or wrong to leaving your hole, only how polite and generous you want to be at that time. You got there first, so the spot is yours until you see fit to leave it. If a father and son come along, and you give them the spot, it is a generous action, and you certainly did a polite deed, but I don't feel it is the "right" or "wrong" thing to do.

You cant blame a guy for fishing his favorite spot when he got there before everyone else. You are certainly not expected to give it up to every guy that happens to walk upstream.
kglissmeyer1 likes this.