The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM

paflyfish is on a distinguished road
Default Flyfishing in the Driftless Wisconsin Area

I am attending a family wedding in August outside of Milwaukee. I was thinking of taking a few extra days and doing some flyfishing in the streams I have heard about. I received a brochure from the tourist center but it is generic. It looks like the area around Viroqua might have some interesting fishing...but it is hard to tell. I did send an email to one flyshop and hope to get a response.

Does anyone have experience fishing in this area and have advice? I am also checking with that shop about having a guide for a day while there.

Any help appreciated.

Keith
Old 06-25-2013, 01:39 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Re: Flyfishing in the Driftless Wisconsin Area

I assume you're talking about The Driftless Angler?

Matt and his staff are amazing. They'll put you on the fish and take care of you.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Keith, check with The Driftless Angler if you want to fish in the Viroqua area.

Call On The Creek fly shop if you want to fish near Madison, WI. It's a much closer drive, but won't be quite as nice.

PM me if you decide you want to make the drive to SE Minnesota. I'll show you around for free if scheduling works out.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:56 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

The guys at driftless are definitely awesome. A other great guide is pj from pjs guide service. I don't have his number handy at the moment but you can probably find him on facebook
Old 06-25-2013, 02:23 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I used to live very near that region and fished a great deal on Spring and Timber Coulee near C00n Valley Wi. as well as the West Fork of the Kickapoo near Avalanche. Great fishing for browns and bows, I believe it was Timber Coulee that I caught my largest rainbow on a dry fly- 26 inches, size 16 elk hair caddis on a Sage 7'11 4wt Light Line.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:09 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Keith,
I just returned from my annual trip to the Driftless a month ago. In past trips I have hired other guides from the area but this time I decided to go with R. Osthoff & preferred him greatly. Rich is not only a great guide but also a fantastic person. He ensures that you will not only catch fish but more importantly, he will make you a better fly fisher. He offers a split fishing option (check out his web site for details)

Mat over at the Driftless Anglers is a terrific fellow, always has some cool fly patterns for sale & is pretty open in his recommendations. I always end up spending too much money when I visit his shop...much to my wife's chagrin

enjoy your trip there...
Old 06-25-2013, 05:56 PM

BigJim2x is a jewel in the roughBigJim2x is a jewel in the roughBigJim2x is a jewel in the rough

Here is a useful link:

Fishing Wisconsin - Trout and salmon fishing - Wisconsin DNR

From that page the link Wisconsin Trout Streams is a 103 page PDF that has a few pages of general Wisconsin regs and then a list of all the trout streams in Wisconsin by county. Farther down the page is a link Wisconsin Trout Stream Maps that brings up a page with county names - Viroqua is in Vernon County. Clicking on the county name brings up a list of trout streams in the county and clicking on a stream name brings up an interactive map of that particular water. From the previous page listing counties, next to the county name is a link for color and black and white county maps; I prefer the color PDF and clicking that map link gives you a PDF county map with the trout streams shown in blue for class I, green for class II and orange for class III trout streams.

You are not limited to Vernon as all Wisconsin counties are listed - that is just an example as you mentioned Viroqua.

Happy browsing.

Jim
Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 PM

paflyfish is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the responses. I did hear back from Matt at the Driftless Angler. It sounds like a great spot to do some fishing. I will take a look around and make sure there are other things to do as well since I will be with my wife and kids. They link to fish....but not all day every day. (I don't get it either).

If it all works out and I get to fish there, I will post an update here.

Keith
Old 06-27-2013, 05:48 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Keith,
I would second the recommendation for Rich Osthoff as a guide in the Virouqua area. He doesn't like fishing in crowds and will take you a bit further off the beaten path than some guides, especially with his split fishing option.
Rich