The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 PM

gannoli is on a distinguished road
Default leader/tippet twisting

Today while fishing my new setup I was experiencing some line twist where I tied tippet to the leader. Actually caused the line to break during my cast. Could this have anything to do with the fly I was using or using mono instead of actual tippet material? I'm just have a hard time diagnosing the problem. I attached a few pictures, one of the twist and one of the fly.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: leader/tippet twisting

Twists usually are formed by large surface flies with too light leader. Go with something a bit thicker.

Dennis
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Wow....that's the worst case of line twisting that I have ever seen. Use only leader material (stiff mono) when making your leader and tippet. Mono that is used for casting is much limper. You may be using tippet material that is too thin. The tippet size is not for the fish but for the fly you are using. Using a popper like in the photo...I would not use under 4 lb test. I would probably use 6 lb test.

You may be doing too much false casting. To decrease the number of false casts, lift your popper off the water with a roll cast, let out a bit of line on the pickup and back cast and then make a forward cast and shoot out some line at the end of the forward cast. Don't try to make any of those extra long forward casts, you don't need them really. If you are using a longer rod (9 feet), you can usually pick up the popper off the surface and without a false cast, immediately make your forward cast. The twisting is done while the fly is in the air.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:27 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

As above, plus, flies with big wings, and big stiff legs can add to the problem, too, especially if the wings or legs are unequal in length.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 06-26-2013, 11:37 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Right on answers above, but I'll just add one small thought ... river fishing sort of thing. If you get 'leader twist' its a darned good indication the fly is out of whack (spinning). Even a 'grain' too much on one side is all it takes.

fae
Old 06-26-2013, 12:04 PM

gannoli is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help guys. I just got the 8wt setup yesterday and was using an 7.5ft 4x leader with 6lb mono tippet (trilene smooth casting) as this is what the guy at the store recommended. I'll try and work on making fewer false casts, I'm still learning. I thought it had a lot to do with the fly, I've never had this problem and this was my first time using an 8wt and throwing such a large fly.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:37 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannoli View Post

Thanks for the help guys. I just got the 8wt setup yesterday and was using an 7.5ft 4x leader with 6lb mono tippet (trilene smooth casting) as this is what the guy at the store recommended. I'll try and work on making fewer false casts, I'm still learning. I thought it had a lot to do with the fly, I've never had this problem and this was my first time using an 8wt and throwing such a large fly.
For poppers, switch to a stiff 2X tippet and those problems will go away.

By the looks of things, that tippet in the picture looks more like a limp mono made more for spinning reels. It looks like it's stretching and whiplashing on you... could be what's causing it to wad up like that.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring