The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Flyfisher for men
  • 1 Post By Flyfisher for men

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 08:34 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all
Default Think I'll try some new water today...

I'll spend the day doing research in the archives for the dissertation, but afterward, there are a couple of nice-looking large ponds just off the road on the way home. They're leased for public fishing by the state.

Though I'm sure they hold the usual fare of bass and panfish, this will be a new type of water as well as a new location. They're part of an abandoned quarry. The water color looks like it's pretty blue and clear--more of a turqoise like you see in the ozarks than the blackish-blue you normally see in a watershed pond in Kansas.

I'm guessing I'll need a light leader.
williamhj likes this.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:37 AM
mridenour

Default Re: Think I'll try some new water today...

Good luck! Hopefully you will have a great time. New water is always fun.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:39 AM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

There's nothing more exhilarating than exploring uncharted waters, good luck!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Have fun and take some pics for us
Old 06-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

As the others have stated, have fun exploring some new water!
I love checking new places out, you just never know what hidden gem you might find.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:13 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Have fun and take some pics for us
I did take some pics. I'm going to have a little adventure learning to post but will try.

Now for the report:

Fishing was poor; just a small bluegill. Ticks were everywhere. Definitely a place for repellant.

Turns out the place is bigger than I thought. I did a quick scout in the morning as I passed through and discovered another pond besides the two I'd seen from the road. That evening I saw another big one that was concealed and a small one. I think there is probably at least one more in there, based on some alleyways cut through the fields and woods.

This place is also adjacent to the Delaware river (known for white bass runs) and a fish and wildlife area. There is a big reservoir just a little ways downstream. I can access this place within 30 minutes. An extended stay is easy since I camp, and I have access to a cabin near there.

There are many possibilities. I've toyed with the idea of a float tube, and it would be good here as a lot the banks are steep. Maybe that will be part of my vacation next summer...

BTW, I can add one more county to my project of fishing every county in Kansas. Surprisingly, we have excellent fishing here. The state manages lakes well and its lease program that opens access to places like this has won awards.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:11 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a nice adventure, even if the fishing wasn't great. I look forward to seeing the pictures! Trust you have seen info on using photobucket - that really makes it rather easy to get pics up on the forum. Let us know if you have any issues with it.

Do you use google earth when looking for fishing spots? You mentioned being surprised by some of the ponds, and I wonder if they would have been visible on google earth or google maps. Very helpful (google maps has a topo feature that is particularly nice in mountainous areas) and also serves as a dangerous distraction when trying to get work done on a computer with an internet connection
Old 06-30-2013, 01:55 PM

Actually, I use google maps a lot for that, but must have overlooked it this time.

Where that's really handy is deer hunting. An aerial photo can be invaluable in locating deer or figuring out their movements on a piece of land.
williamhj likes this.

Last edited by Flyfisher for men; 07-01-2013 at 09:03 AM.