The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By lotech_joe
  • 3 Post By fredaevans
  • 3 Post By lotech_joe
  • 1 Post By yonder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 09:59 PM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about
Default Cary Specials

Tied some Cary Specials up today. I think I'll try them slow trolling for Rainbows soon. I'd rather fish the rivers and streams but my wading days are over. At least my jon boat keeps me fishing. I landed a real nice 20" Brookie with an Eagle Claw glass flyrod a couple of weeks ago. That was exciting.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:32 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Cary Specials

Hey Joe!

Where have you been bud? if I would have had your Royal Wulff with me on Tuesday the rainbows and grayling were rising....................... Typically, I had only the Spey rod and wet flies

Welcome back, I missed hearing from you, do let us know how you do trolling for the trout.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-30-2013, 07:22 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Jr. High/High School in Seattle. I could rent a row boat for (memory?) fifty cents and would do a slow row on Green Lake (North Seattle). Boat house then and fellow would put my back pack/books under the counter and hand me my rod (bless him, he kept it there).

Fly rod/reel with mono line and a split shot or two about four feet up from the fly. Two hard pulls on the oars and drift. Rare I didn't bring home dinner for Mom and me. After a few months, he stopped charging me the fifty cents.

baseman1, yonder and nick k like this.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hey Joe!

Where have you been bud? if I would have had your Royal Wulff with me on Tuesday the rainbows and grayling were rising....................... Typically, I had only the Spey rod and wet flies

Welcome back, I missed hearing from you, do let us know how you do trolling for the trout.

Ard
Sorry I haven't been around for a while. I don't get around as well as I used to, and our heavily landscaped yard has kept me busy. A lawn that used to take 30 minuted to mow, now takes me 2 1/2 hours with the rest periods. The vegetable garden is coming in nicely and the Swiss Chard is delicious. Being broke doesn't help much either. Retirement years seem to be more rusty than golden. I did manage to catch a 5 fish limit a few weeks ago at a local put & take lake. One of them was a 20" Brookie. I caught him trolling an olive wooly bugger with a smile blade. I was using an Eagle Claw 7' glass fly rod. THAT was fun. That rod had quite a bend in it. I'll try to post more.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've quit doing anything more to the yard at home because of exactly what you just said. Between the work here and that at the cabin I almost feel guilty going fishing. For me distance is also a problem, the river I want to fish is 85 miles by boat from where I launch. It takes about 20 gallons of fuel to get there so I am trying to go only when I can stay for at least 2 days. I think everyone feels the crunch of gas prices. I'm going to fish close to home tomorrow, it'll be cheap.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-30-2013, 01:05 PM

I know what you mean about costs these days. If I bought a license and gas to fish my favorite spot on my favorite river, it would cost $150 for a 220 mile round trip. Fortunately, here in Eastern Washington, there are plenty of lakes close.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:27 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I hope you will give us a followup report Joe......we tend to like fishing reports around here....
fredaevans likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 07-01-2013, 02:12 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=lotech_joe;568317] Being broke doesn't help much either. Retirement years seem to be more rusty than golden.QUOTE]

Got a witness!!

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 07-01-2013, 07:10 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=JoJer;568578]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotech_joe View Post
Being broke doesn't help much either. Retirement years seem to be more rusty than golden.QUOTE]

Got a witness!!
So hear you! Doing "The Books" for last month and the three Jeep fill up's cost me more than I spent on food for both the Yellow Lab and Me. And I really didn't drive anywhere special.

Well, do look at Google Earth and "Find a road less traveled." Good to have a GPS to tell me how the hell to get back out of here.