The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 03:31 PM

little yellow humpy is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing/ camping 108/ 395 West Walker area

We're heading up the 108 next week (July 9th) and wondered if anybody knew of good places to fish near the junction. Like, how's the section of the West Walker between 108 and 395? I wonder if this heat wave is going to kill the fishing up there? Also, anybody know of a good camping spot fairly close to good fishing in that area?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2013, 04:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing/ camping 108/ 395 West Walker area

Mikel might be more versed on the camping areas in that region than I.

You can always fish the West Walker Bridge off of 108 just up the road from 395

There are numerous pull outs off of 395 northbound of the 108/395 intersection.

The heat will slow down the fishing. Early mornings and evening sessions would be best times to fish. You are best off fishing the deeper holes with dead drifted nymphs or swung streamers with a sink tip line.

Dennis
Old 06-30-2013, 05:02 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I've camped at Sonora Bridge CG off 108 between the Marine base and 395 and it's very nice...maybe a little more rustic that some, but comfortable and some sites have awesome views of the WW.

Obsidian is off 395 and on the Little Walker. 1st turnoff from 395 north of 108. It's more primitive, but very pretty. You could google for amneities.

To the south the next stuff are the camp grounds around Twin Lakes and they are likely crowded and some lack shade, as I recall.

Don't have knowledge of the stuff to the north from Sonora Junction, except to say there are several grounds along 395, but I think they are all pretty sunny?? But, they are all pretty close, so you could check several within an hour or so to choose something you'd like.

http://www.kenssport.com/fishing-reports.html

Here's a fish report from Ken's. Stop in there for good info and any supplies. Nice folks.

-Mike

Last edited by mikel; 06-30-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: forgot fish report, duh
Old 06-30-2013, 05:13 PM

little yellow humpy is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I see 'em on the map but one never knows...

BTW...hows the fishing and the crowds on the Little Walker?

Hey Mikel...I was in your neck of the woods (use to be mine) last weekend. Decided to skip the 17 traffic and head to SC the back way on 9. Stopped at that brewery for the first time in Boulder Creek. Good beer and probably the best hamburger I've ever had. Did a little fly fishing on the surf for the first time and it was a kick. Can't wait to go back.' (For the fishing and the burger).
Old 06-30-2013, 05:38 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by little yellow humpy View Post
hows the fishing and the crowds on the Little Walker?
with this heat there's no way to know unless you're there. I'd be there early/late and find a shade tree in the midday. If you fish the canyon from 108 to 395 you won't have much company. I didn't read Ken's report, but they put one out most Sundays