The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 08:46 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Road Trip!!!

At the end of August I may be running up to Waterboro, Maine to pick up cabinetry for a remodeling job. I'm thinking that I'm going to pack my rod too

Anyone have suggestions on a good fishing spot for a few hours on the way back?

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-01-2013, 09:32 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road Trip!!!

You're not exactly in the trouty part of Maine there.
I'd plan on having a nice shore dinner instead if I were you.
If you want to try your hand at some striper fishing, the mouth of the Saco River would be a good place to "get your feet wet"
A Maine marine license is only $1 on-line. Then all you'd need would be a stripping basket and a few of the largest flies your rod can handle
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 AM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Rip! That sounds appealing because I've never fished for stripers before.

Which rod? 8 or 10?

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Normally I would say don't hurt yourself and go with the 8wt, but you should expect to see big baits up there. Pollack and mackerel.
I'd think that if it were me I'd want to be prepared to comfortably throw big 3/0 flies
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Thanks! Looks like it could be fun... I saw a vid on youtube of a guy that caught a 7' Sturgeon

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...