The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 AM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: My Sons First Brown....

That's awesome! I hate it when people think they can be arrogant just because they're older than someone. That happens to me a lot
Old 07-01-2013, 10:05 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your son's catch. Sounds like you met some poor sports.

I assume you were staying at Slide Inn. I am guessing that your son caught that brown trout along the river bank or just ahead or behind a boulder.

I fish on the opposite side of Slide Inn quite often, and although the water there is really fast, there is the "Secret River" that is the key to dry fly fishing the Madison.

Gary Borger Blog Archive The Secret River

The Secret River along the banks of the Madison River near Slide Inn. Gary and I fished the Madison last year and the Secret River produced for us.

Click the image to open in full size.

Gary fishing the Secret River.

Gary Borger Blog Archive Marker Fly

Gary hooks the Runaway Trout.

Gary Borger Blog Archive Runaway Trout

A week from now, I will be fishing these same spots during my annual trip to Montana. I can only hope that I can be successful as your son.

Thanks for posting that wonderful story.
Flyfisher for men likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Gotta love it!!!!

There's always some "expert" who forgets that the fish make the final say-so.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

That place looks incredible! The beauty I have around me is much more subtle.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I love it when that happens .Why would anyone be snobish toward a kid that's greta glade your son got his first brown and got to rub it in a little.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:03 PM

stormcrow is on a distinguished road

Awesome story!
Happy to see a father passing along the tradition of fly fishing to his son. I tried and tried and my son never took an interest. We have a number of other mutual interest, however so its all good.
Imagine those guys had no appetite when they got back to their camp since they had already had a nice serving of crow with humble pie for dessert ;-)

And now hour son has a fun story about his very first brownie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-01-2013, 02:39 PM

superbike1 is on a distinguished road

Congrats to your son. My son loves to fish but the fly fishing bug hasn't caught him yet. Maybe because it just caught me not to long ago. I am dreaming of fishing in places like that.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:02 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. I proceeded to prove the guy wrong 63 times.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=silver creek;568645]Congrats on your son's catch. Sounds like you met some poor sports.

I assume you were staying at Slide Inn. I am guessing that your son caught that brown trout along the river bank or just ahead or behind a boulder.

I fish on the opposite side of Slide Inn quite often, and although the water there is really fast, there is the "Secret River" that is the key to dry fly fishing the Madison.

Gary fishing the Secret River.

Silver Creek,

We were actually staying on the opposite side of the river (private property) Pretty close to directly behind the slide in... Slightly downstream at the big river right elbow..... Fishing was great. I received a call from some product testers staying at the slide inn tonight.... sending some leaders their way... expedited shipping. Sounds like they are getting into some great fishing. Heading back that way in a couple of weeks.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com