The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 01:32 PM

tca1954 is on a distinguished road
Default broken tip and performance

Hi everybody,

I recently broke the tip off my redington rs2 4 wt. rod. I was heart broken because this is one of my favorite rods. I only lost about an inch off the end and I am hoping that I can just glue a new tip on. Since I don't want to bother to send it in for repairs, I was wondering if I just glue a new tip to the end will the performance of the rod change at all?

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:43 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: broken tip and performance

Doubtful most humans could tell the difference--I know I couldn't.

I don't know if Redington uses a thermoplastic glue for the tips, but if so you might be able to extract the broken piece and re-use the existing tip guide. Grab the rod stump with a hemostat and gently heat the tip guide with a heat gun. If it is thermoplastic glue the tip guide will slide off the rod stump after a little heat is applied.

Others may be able to tell you if the above is a futile effort.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tca1954,

Sorry for your bad luck. One inch is not going to make any difference in performance. The best glue to use is the stick that you heat. There is a possibility that the tip that is on the rod may still fit. It is according how radical your taper is. Some tips are the same diameter the last few inches. You can remove the piece of rod by heating the metal tip. Any good fly shop will have replacement tips if you need one. You can also order one from Cabela's or Mudhole.

Frank
Old 02-03-2008, 02:04 PM

tca1954 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. I will try what you have recommended.