The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 07:30 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: So, what's your flyfishing vacation mindset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Here in New England, the first thing that they do when you book a campsite is to remind you that bringing firewood is against the rules and in some places even illegal.
Too many invasives
The Hemlock Wooly Adelgid has wiped out huge old growth fores around here, but the ones that they seem most concerned about now are the Emerald Ash Borer and the Asian Longhorned Beetle. Both of which are spread by being transported in fire wood
We have similar rules, here in North Carolina........and the origin of my firewood is not from an area on the federal quarantine list that is included in the signed campground agreement. Actually, my wood comes from about 10 minutes from the parkway itself.........

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

1. Alone...several times/year normally. Minimalist camping...sleep in the shell of my Tacoma...(this is E Sierra trips). Eat when hungry, sleep when tired, fish when you want. 4-7 days duration

2. Camping with friends....nice tent, good gear, nice meals, shower every other day...life is good...(Again, E Sierra). 3 or 4 trips/yr. I usually plan meals, etc. 7-10 days duration

3. Touring with friends...rental cabins or moderate hotels, guided fishing 2 or 3 times in a week and sight seeing/fishing on our own between (Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Wyoming, Colorado) So far this is an annual thing....We share planning and making arrangements. 7-10 days

4. My wifey and I do road trips too...and I get to fish a bit on them. We've done Vancouver Island, Durango area, Virginia, Lot's of trips thru Montana, Banff, etc. these can take 2 weeks to a month, especially with my bride retiring next year.

I seldom fish longer than 5 hrs at a time and sometimes do touristy stuff for a day and only fish early/late when it's best anyway...
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Unfortunately I'm at that stage of life/career that time is not a huge luxury so I can't be to picky. Anytime I can pull my travel trailer near some river I am happy.

I certainly don't rough it anymore , but there are no cell phones, tv's etc. I do grind my own coffee beans, prep some breakfast food and bring the generator so I can make my coffee and sit out in silence staring at the water.

I'll have coffee / breakfast then fish. Come back for an afternoon nap and then head back out before grilling a burger for dinner
Old 07-03-2013, 08:17 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I get up early to fish, then I tend to enjoy a good book in the evening, while partaking in the briar pipe, and the tin cup.
Ahhh.... if life could be like this every day. A little tobacco and a tin cup makes for perfection.

I hope I haven't made anyone stir crazy with this thread.
williamhj and yonder like this.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:05 PM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about

I just returned from such reverie. My other wing and I had a big vacation in May/June (we went to China and Tibet) but when my mind wandered it was to the prime fishing I was missing - winter had hung on to almost the time we left and then the rains, so I couldn't get gone before. Upon returning I was informed at my employment that we were all having the week of the 4th off paid so the first thing I did was book a campsite at a State Park known for its prime trout waters. Because of the 4th I could only have a site Sunday night through Wednesday night.

A tent, cook stove; cooler with breakfast, dinner, a loaf of bread and peanut butter and jelly. Coffee at the fire and yes, a briar too. There is an abandoned town that is a living museum at the Park but the fishing is what brought me. The campground is a State Park but the sites are well screened by low brush and trees - kind of private save an occasional loud voice and some camper in the next loop who likes Johnny Cash and wanted to share that appreciation in the afternoon with the other campers. The main river is well known but what peaked me was a spring fed tributary creek. The creek has a gravel hiking trail next to it that goes back to the headwaters. Both days I was on the creek I saw one couple hiking the trail, otherwise nary a soul save me and the fish - great time !

Jim
yonder likes this.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:37 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

I just returned from Yellowstone (see the thread link below) for 10 days. I had a simple tent. I've camped and stayed in a tent since the 1970s, so despite getting old I still enjoy the simplicity of it.

You go to a place for the daylight hours, and fish till you drop. You survive the nights, so a tent works. Just a tent and bedding, not a ton of gear.

Those who want to take their house and yard furniture camping with them are creating a monster. I know there are reasons for generators and RVs, but it's not my idea of fishing. Generators and RVs should be banned from camping areas near trout streams.

I go alone; leave the wife at home. When we travel together I usually don't fish, and we stay in a lodge. Rarely do I go fishing with a friend or relative, because seldom can we coordinate the trip (at my age). Fun to have a companion, but difficult to schedule for flyfishing. I've met some wonderful people at campsites, both campgrounds and back-country camps.

Now, we've been talking mostly trout fishing. When I go to the tropics for Bonefish, etc (Belize most often), I stay in a cabana without a.c. Hammocks are for naps; cabanas for surviving the night.

It's all catch and release of trout for me. Wish it were more widespread.

Yellowstone Park fishing trip
Rip Tide likes this.