The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 01:34 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: trout vs carp

when in doubt, they are likely eating the aquatic nymphs found in the bottom. They tend to root 'em out and "graze" a bit. carp can take in a mouthful, and then pin the food items to the roof of their mouth with a ton and eject the non food items...they do all that using scent/smell and it takes less than a second. hence the tricky part with an artificial fly...you have to know when it is in the mouth and set the hook quickly. MUCH easier is they are chasing crayfish or baitfish (which they do in certain waters). Then you can get them to follow and feel/strip set a take. with nymphs etc. it is often a detect the take game. My home river's primary forage is freshwater clams...so my fish rarely move to eat a fly more than a few inches. That can be frustrating. I would start with a basic nymph type of fly when in doubt. I fish a fly i call a hybrid, which is essentially a green nymph (generic) with a worm tail. I can move it like a nymph, or let it sit on the bottom and they take tail thinking it is the extended foot of a clam. does the trick out here. Best bet is to dig around a bit and figure out what they would have available.

good luck man!

Carp on the Fly
Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that info ! I hadn't thought about fishing for carp till I started this thread and that insight was much needed. That's interesting how they "graze". With thier takes being subtle, would you want to strip slowly? Also, I've read thier vision is not good, how accurate is this ?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

To strip or not to strip...that is often the question! Hah...again, I just go back to rule #1...the forage thing. You need a fly that looks like food, and acts like food. For me, the fish are digging out clams and will grab the escaping nymphs as they root, so I catch a LOT of carp as my hybrid sinks into the 4-6 inch zone around a tailing or slow cruising fish. When I try to strip the fly to the zone, I get less takes...when it falls into the zone, I get a lot of takes. Once it hits the bottom, I rely on the clam look and I literally just leave it there as long as I can. If the fly got to the bottom 4-6 inches away without spooking the fish I can usually rely on them to find and eat it.

Again, that is all due to the forage of clams that are prevalent out here. On lake mi each year, we fish two inch long bunny leeches and strip them like escaping gobies...the carp chase, kill and eat the bunny leeches. Same fly on my home river would spook every carp for 20 feet.

The tough, but enjoyable thing about carp is that they are massively adaptable. They simply find a source of food from their surroundings, and can at times be predatory, or even vegetarian. I have yet to find anywhere that they won't eat an aquatic nymph, but finding their main forage and the action associated will give you the best possible chance. These fish are frequently difficult depending again on forage.

Detecting the take is tricky. I usually put the fly to the side of their head and key on the head turn...you gotta make em move. If the fly is right in front on their nose they can suction eat and you might not see anything. Just watch the fish, and if they change position when your fly is in the zone, set the hook.

If the fish are aggressive and chasing (lake mi gobie hunters or crayfish eaters) I strip set. If they are simply picking food up or grazing, I trout set. I trout set 100% of the time on my home river the Columbia.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
kicker19 likes this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 07-03-2013, 11:35 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

This must be your second time carp fishing HA HA HA. It does help, perfect info for a newbie carp fisher but that's all I need right now, gotta go out and chase these things before I came up with more questions. Thanks John !!!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:52 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I am a newb at chasing carp with the fly. I just spent parts of 3 different days throwing at carp without success. The water was muddy and sometimes I was just throwing at a mud trail. I did have at least 3 takes that I missed out of ignorance. Some of these were quite large. At least 20 pounders and more. Most were in the 8 to 15# range. The takes that I was sure of was on a red San Juan worm and on a clouser style fly with small bead chain eyes and red fox squirrel tail on top and bottom with no flash. I know the water has crawdads but I am not sure about the insect population. I have found it frustrating so far but when I get back to the area I will be hitting them again. I hope to find it less muddy though.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Hah...yeah kicker19...I may have caught a few!

Muddy water is tough ditz. I try to find clear water, or watch whatever part of the fish I can see. Even in muddy water you can usually make out a tail. When the fly is I. The right spot and the tail speeds up I set the hook!

Carp on the Fly
Old 07-06-2013, 05:00 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

John...I was just happy to find some carp. .....the carp would sometimes come close to the surface and I could see most of the fish when they came up. They must have been in about 3 to 3.5 feet of water and when they were actually rooting none of the fish was visible. I did cast to them when they were visible but they showed no interest while in that mode. There was at least a couple of really large ones. The first day I had my 5wt but when I saw those big ones I felt under gunned and brought the 7wt the next day. It was easier to fight the wind also. I may get back up there in the early fall so I hope to give them another shot in a few months. I am looking forward to it. I am tying more flies to replace the ones I lost in IN.