The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   trout vs carp (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/323875-trout-vs-carp.html)

kicker19 07-01-2013 10:16 PM

trout vs carp

curious as to whether or not a growing population of carp would push out or decrease a trout population. i went to my usual trout river and all day i saw nothing but carp. also didnt catch anything. there was ALOT of carp and they were of decent to large size. have never seen them in this river before and ive been fishing it for three years. something i should be concerned about ?

Hardyreels 07-01-2013 11:07 PM

Re: trout vs carp

If there are abundant carp I suspect warm water temps. Which river are we talking about, I lived down in Newnan for nearly 2 years.

Ard

kicker19 07-02-2013 01:35 AM

the lower chattahoochee river several miles below morgan falls dam. i do believe you and i have had this coversation before in some other thread ha ha ha. unfortunately that river is the only actual trout river in this area, next closest is over an hour north, so i spend much time there. been trying to venture out but its a little tough

fly_guy12955 07-02-2013 05:01 AM

If it's grass carp I doubt you have much to worry about. If it's them jumpin' , flying Asian carp, you have plenty to worry about.

If the water is warm enough that the carp are really active, the trout have prob became fairly lethargic.

Mike

kicker19 07-02-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 (Post 568844)
If it's them jumpin' , flying Asian carp, you have plenty to worry about.

If the water is warm enough that the carp are really active, the trout have prob became fairly lethargic.

Mike

no jumpers, they were are crusing around at a fairly decent rate. i guess thats my sign to shift away from trout for a while. looks like i'll be targeting carp now

williamhj 07-02-2013 01:50 PM

Next time you go, bring a thermometer and check the water temp in the stream. Maybe it gets too warm in the summer and the trout slow down hole up at cooler inlets etc. Might need to leave them be until things cool down in the Fall.

chi flyfisher 07-02-2013 04:07 PM

Another vote for warmer water temps. Definitely check the temps with a stream thermo and my guess is you're going to confirm the suspicions. The trout are either lethargic from the warmer temps, hidden near springs providing them relief, or have ventured upstream to cooler environs, if possible.

Cheers,
Mike.

kicker19 07-02-2013 05:53 PM

Hit the nail on the head, getting a thermometer for the next trip out there !! Plus have already started searching the threads to see how others fish for carp, ready to get back out there

john montana 07-02-2013 11:08 PM

Definetly a water temp issue. Carp can live in a huge range of temps but they prefer much warmer water than trout. Carp wouldn't so much push the trout out as they would live where the trout can't. Probably not a good thing if your river temps are rising that much! As for catching them, my four rules are pretty basic.
1) know your forage
2) don't cast until you can see their head
3) you gotta make em move (to detect the take)
4) to catch more carp, cast at less (find feeding fish, ignore bad targets).

Good luck man!

kicker19 07-03-2013 01:23 AM

From what I've noticed about the carp here is majority move around in groups with a few that are solo. Some are interested in the object standing in the river, some would swim up to a few feet from me before swimming off. I think finding out the forage might be the trickiest part, I've only seen them once and that was when they were cruising by, but challange excepted! Thank you for the insight