The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 05:06 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's your favorite caddis emerger pattern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
Since noone mentioned yet, I have a question.

What size hook are these on and do you normally have a combo of different sizes or one?
The Retro pattern I put up is tied on dry fly hooks and the Graphic Caddis on TMC 2499 SP BL, #14 - #18 or TMC 2488, #14 - #20. Mine(RCC) go on TMC or Daiichi straight or down eye hooks- depending on the size of the pattern (smaller = straight eye, generally). The particular Caddis I am imitating dictates the size of the hook. A hatch chart for a specific watershed is a good place to start.

Craig Matthew's site, Blue Ribbon Flies, lists the sizes for the X and Improved X Caddis Patterns as well as the sizes for the Iris Caddis series.I tie the X and Improved X Caddis on the same hooks that I use for the RCC and usually, the Iris Caddis on TMC 102Y Hooks #13 - #19 . None of this is set in stone...these guys would also probably work on some Daiichi 1130's or TMC 2487's...or even Gammakatsu C15-BV or TMC 212Y Hooks...go for it !!!

Hope that helps...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 07-02-2013, 05:20 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I tie all three of the flies mentioned on Dai Riki 125 emerger hooks in sizes 14 and 16. I also hope that helps.

Kelly.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Folks,

Thanks so much for all those great suggestions. I'm bookmarking this thread.

Randy
Old 07-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite has gotten no love yet.

The Lafontaine emergent sparkle pupa is without a doubt one of the finest caddis emerger patterns you can fish. If you've never fished with one, get some tied and give them a whirl. Remember though, Gary liked this pattern to be sparse and used only the touch dub method for the underbody. It also must have the trailing ze-lon shuck cut from the top/front of the bubble and laid back to trail off the rear of the hook.(a few z-lon fibers will suffice just fine).
LaFontaine Emergent Sparkle Pupa - #232- FAOL"
mcnerney and milt spawn like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-03-2013, 07:05 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Cutter's E/C Caddis been berry berry good to me. milt
Old 07-03-2013, 09:17 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

1) E/c Caddis (ralph cutter), I just hate tying this fly.
2) X2 caddis. Basically the same thing as the improved x with a deer hair vs caribou wing.
3) Lawsons emerging caddis. I was never a fan until this year when I started to fish caddis over slow water.
4) Emergent Sparkle Pupa
5) CDC and Elk.
6) A whole bunch of my own patterns.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:34 AM

stormcrow is on a distinguished road

E/c caddis is my goto caddis emerger.
Harrops cdc bubbleback caddis in the film.
Sparkle pupa
Barrs graphic caddis
Taks go2caddis

Those will all get it done.
And they are all fairly easy to tie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-04-2013, 11:35 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I'll toss in one more pattern that is/are a variation(s) on Craig Matthew's GUIDE SERENDIPITY - developed for the "Mother's Day", Brachycentrus hatch (Grannom), on the Madison River. This is a very simple pattern that may also be fished from the bottom to the top of the water column. I tie 'em on TMC 5262, #14 - #18, Daiichi 1560, #14 -#18 and Daiichi 1760, #14 -#18 - using twisted Zelon, twisted Antron, DNA Holo Fusion and with the Zelon/Antron, strands of Krystal Flash added:

Click the image to open in full size.

MOTHER'S DNA DIP

Materials MOTHER’S DNA DIP

HOOK: Daiichi 1560, #14 – #16

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Black

ABDOMEN: Strands of DNA, Holo Fusion, Chartreuse

RIB: Ultra Wire, Black, x-sm

WING: 1 Strand of White Zeloon, cut short -ish

AMBER KF SERENDIPITY…

HOOK: TMC 5262, #14-#18

THREAD: Gordon Griffith 14/0 Sheer, Brown

ABDOMEN: Portion of a strand of Amber Zelon (to hook size), 1 strand Pearl KF, 1 strand Rusty Brown KF - twisted

WING: White Zelon

He says ... "They work!"

PT/TB
mcnerney likes this.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 AM

streamborn_jr77 is on a distinguished road

big fan of the antron sparkle pupa !!!!!!!
fysh and mcnerney like this.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamborn_jr77 View Post
big fan of the antron sparkle pupa !!!!!!!
Highly over rated...would never consider tying "one"...

PT/TB
fysh and mcnerney like this.