The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By spiderninja
  • 1 Post By skiprock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 10:02 AM

jtodlozil is on a distinguished road
Smile New to Colorado! Help!

Hello I am in Denver for the summer and I am a big fly fisherman. I was curious if anyone who could give me tips on certain spots to try on rivers and flys to use? I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:33 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New to Colorado! Help!

Welcome to the forum. You are surrounded by good fishing. I'd suggest this book:
Colorado's Best Fly Fishing: Flies, Access, and Guide's Advice for the State's Premier Rivers (Headwater Guides): Landon Mayer: 9780811707312: Amazon.com: Books Colorado's Best Fly Fishing: Flies, Access, and Guide's Advice for the State's Premier Rivers (Headwater Guides): Landon Mayer: 9780811707312: Amazon.com: Books

It lays out some of the best fly fishing in the state. It has access points, hatch charts, and all around solid info. Of all the books I've got, this one has been getting opened a lot.
double d likes this.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:39 PM

skiprock is on a distinguished road

We were recently visiting in the Denver area and while there did some nice fly fishing on the Big Thompson river, just below the dam at Estes Park. Quite scenic, very good public access and friendly/helpful people at local fly shops.
double d likes this.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:33 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

I would also recomend two websites / books

1) Fly Fishing Rocky Mt National Park
2) Rocky Mountain Fly Fishet (josh Rickard does great you tube videos and helps keep it simple )

There are tons of "common areas tat are great flyfishing.....Big T, Blue, Poudre, S Platte etc etc but you can run in to moderate crowds. If you are willing to hike a mile or so you will have tons of serenity