The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CutThroat Leaders
  • 1 Post By comeonavs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Furled nymphing leader

I currently use a dry fly furled leader. I have owned it for a few years, and am thinking about replacing it. Most of my fishing it done with weight, two flies and an indicator. I only switch to dries if the water is not very conducive to nymphing, or if I am throwing hoppers or other terrestrials. With the 20% discount that cutthroat leaders is offering, I am thinking about switching over to a nymphing leader. If the situation rises that I need to switch over to a dry, can I just apply floatant to the leader and tippet and still be able to fish dries, or is that a lost cause. I love these furled leaders.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:34 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Furled nymphing leader

I only use furled leaders, both for dry flies and nymphing. I apply floatant to the dry fly leader and sinkant to the bottom 1/2 to 2/3 on the leader used for nymphing. Keeping 2 (different colors) ready to go at all times, not a problem to change them out on the river.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

SDdryFly,

We do have many customers that use one leader for both top water and nymphing. I am a believer in using a dry fly leader when fishing dries and changing the leader out when you want to fish deep. With the looped end, you can change the leader out very quickly. Our dry fly leaders are designed to be used with 5x, 6x & 7x tippet. If you tie 2x or 3x for throwing big streamers, etc, you do run the risk of breaking the leader if you get caught in trees or rocks, etc. Our nymphing leaders have a much higher breaking strength. (more material). These leaders will not break if you get snagged.

Hope that makes sense. If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me direct at the address below. Thank you,
mike@cutthroatleader.com
enolaeagle likes this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 07-03-2013, 12:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

One morning this past May I sat and watched my friend Gary hi-sticking this one slot with a 4' red thread furled leader plus tippet.
The full length of the leader acted as a indicator and he stuck a whole bunch of fish during the short time I sat there watching.
He's a great fisherman anyways, but what I witnessed was an education.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Can you switch between nymphing and dries, my answer is no. The thread leaders I use need to be treated with floatant when they are dry. I've found that once the leader is water-logged the floatant doesn't do much. If I'm nymphing in fairly shallow water I'll just keep the leader on and just have the tippet sink. If I'm going deep I'll take it off.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I happened to get a email from cutthroat leaders today. I took advantage of the offer and ordered 2 hi-vis nymphing leaders for my 4wt rods. Now I have the dry fly leader, nymph and heavy duty nymphing one.

Excited to try them soon
williamhj likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-03-2013, 09:30 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I happened to get a email from cutthroat leaders today. I took advantage of the offer and ordered 2 hi-vis nymphing leaders for my 4wt rods. Now I have the dry fly leader, nymph and heavy duty nymphing one.

Excited to try them soon
I pulled the trigger on some yesterday as well and am looking forward to trying them out!