The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Favorite Grip

In single hand fly fishing rods the 2 rods I have used the most both have a 'Superfine' grip. When you hold the same cork for 34 years it just feels normal.

Superfine

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-03-2013, 11:10 AM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

I prefer a full wells. If you'll form your hand as though it's holding a fly rod, thumb extended on top, and look at the outline formed by your thumb and the heel of your hand, you'll see it's approximately a full wells shape. Consequently, a full wells feels most natural and comfortable to me.

Unfortunately, only one of my rods has a full wells grip, the others being cigar grips.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:23 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Honestly, you might as well just ask everyone what weight rod they prefer or what type of fishing prefer. These are large factors in grip shapes for rods and if you fish one way enough, you are pretty likely to eventually get used to and prefer that way, and thus that grip style.

For instance, its pretty hard to find a full wells on anything less than a 6 or 7wt, and it is conversely hard to find anything OTHER THAN a full wells on 7wt and up. If all you ever do is saltwater, you will probably prefer a full wells as that is what you have been using for years.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I prefer a western grip on my trout rods in 3, 4 and 5 weight. Reverse full wells or Wells on anything larger.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I have big hands and like Sage's new "custom snub nose half wells grip" they are using on their ONE and Circa rods.

Randy
Old 07-03-2013, 11:36 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
I prefer a western grip on my trout rods in 3, 4 and 5 weight. Reverse full wells or Wells on anything larger.
More proof to my point.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
For instance, its pretty hard to find a full wells on anything less than a 6 or 7wt, and it is conversely hard to find anything OTHER THAN a full wells on 7wt and up. If all you ever do is saltwater, you will probably prefer a full wells as that is what you have been using for years.
That's one of the great things about making your own grips for rods. You can choose the grip style, length, and thickness you prefer. Want a full wells on a 3wt, have at it! I'm putting one on a long 4wt turned a bit thicker than you'd find on many rods for sale in shops.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:33 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I like a cigar grip on most anything 3wt and below, and full wells on 4wt and above.

Just to complicate matters, for short 4 and 5 weights, and for long 3 and under weights, I'll use a reverse half wells or western grip. *shrug*
Old 08-31-2013, 08:28 AM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about

I built a 3 piece, 7 1/2 foot, fiberglass 5 weight one time, and I built a Fenwick style grip out of a full wells. Man, that was a comfortable grip and a dandy rod to cast. I kick myself for ever having sold it. I paid just over $160 for the components then. Now they would cost well over $250.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:35 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

I think I'm a full wels guy. But it's rare I have a rod that fits my hand perfectly.

Kim.