The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 09:52 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Favorite Grip

Love the small graceful type grip on the Orvis Superfine.

Mike
Old 08-31-2013, 11:00 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I like a Full Wells on heavier weight rods, Reverse Half Wells on mid-weights and Ultra Fine or Cigar grips on dinks.
I thought I had to have meatier grips because of my large hands and did so up until I got a mid-weight rod with a slim grip. Looking at it I said to myself, 'no way this dainty grip is going to work for me' until I used it a while. Now most of my rods in that weight range have slim grips and no longer does my hand cramp and I no longer get the calluses I once did with the larger diameter grips. I know one size does not fit all but that's what's what works for this guy.
I really like the little spoiler or kick some grips have at the heel of the hand. It seems to take the tension off of the hand while casting and allows for a little extra power without clamping down on the grip.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:19 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Full wells. I have big hands and need a big grip.

You know what they say about men with big hands and big feet: big gloves and big shoes.

Scott
Old 08-31-2013, 01:37 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post
Full wells. I have big hands and need a big grip.

You know what they say about men with big hands and big feet: big gloves and big shoes.

Scott
I make my cigar grips 'bigger' than the full wells grips on some factory rods I see. For me the advantage of a full wells is having the increased diameter in the front of the grip for longer, heavier rods. Decreases hand fatigue over a day of fishing.

Thought of this yesterday. In the morning I fished with my 7'9" 3wt with a cigar grip I turned for my own hand, very comfortable. In the afternoon I switched to my Albright 9' 6wt to throw heavier nymphs to bigger fish. Immediately I was annoyed, first of all that it was a reverse halfwells grip and I wanted increased grip diameter on the front of the grip. Also that it was so thin! Noticeably less comfortable, for me at least. Drives me nuts.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:43 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Full wells on most of my rods ( like that upper curve to put my thumb). Half wells or cigar on the lighter sticks seems to help on presentation even if it's just in my head! Like full wells foam grips on the boat especially when things get fishy and hands get sticky from fish. Depends on the quarry!
jaybo41 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-31-2013, 03:20 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Half Welles or Cigar on my trout rods, especially 3-5wts and Full Welles for 6 and up for larger fish and larger flies.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

By the Tail

Click the image to open in full size.