The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 07:32 AM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about
Default Favorite Grip

What is your favorite grip. Full wells, Half Wells, Western. Which one. I know a lot depends on the application, but regardless of that, what is your favorite. I've always like Fenwick's Reverse Half Wells, but my all time favorite is the Cigar grip.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite Grip

I agree, the cigar grip for a trout rod.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:57 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I have always been partial to the cigar grip on light rods. Bamboo rods feel better to me with full Wells grips however.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:03 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I'm a full wells man myself.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

There's something about a good cigar
yonder likes this.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 AM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about

I forgot to mention that some of the custom grips with integrated composite or wood components are very attractive, but I still prefer just plain cork.
Jackster likes this.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Full Wells
Old 07-03-2013, 10:08 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Cork Western

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I don't care...I just pick em up and fish with them...if I were building a rod, I'd have to research to figure it out. It's a little embarrassing, but true.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:38 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Good topic Joe,
I need to Get a Grip.

Give me a Large diameter Western on everything from 4 to 7, 8 and up a Full Wells and not one of those slim waistline ones either. Can't stand these snaky little grips on many modern rods...... I wear a size 12 EEE. My fingers can go around most of today’s rod grips, twice! Where's the Meat!

This is one reason I don’t buy T.F.O.’s - Lefty with his little chubby hands and fingers designed ‘em. Put the two of us side by side and you’d have a hard time believing we’re the same species. Give me a Steve Rajeff rod, those come in Mens sizes.

An attempt at instituting a little levity into a pet peeve of mine…

TT
imxer and nick k like this.

Last edited by trout trekker; 07-03-2013 at 10:58 AM.