The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By caseywise
  • 1 Post By branjg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default 3 Kings & A Wet Camera;

I have fished many years without taking pictures of all the caught fish. However with this fish guiding business I need pictures. I snatched up a little Cannon camera last June and it's been swell for quick shots. Swell that is until I failed to zip shut my jacket pocket yesterday after taking a photo. I'm giving the camera 4 more days in a sealed bag of rice and hoping for the best........ Problem is that the card reader on this hp G-72 does not function. My Nikon will not read the card and so I'm stuck waiting.

I went to my favorite run / pool yesterday morning looking to find a big trout. I fish there every year because salmon are there and the big rainbows hang with salmon. I used my own creation, a bunny strip sculpin with a trailer hook in dark brown. A good size grab for a big trout.

A couple casts into the day I had a good deep pull and my first thought was, "oh boy, if this is a trout it's a big one". It didn't take long to figure out that what I had was a King salmon. Now here's a bi-catch you can't complain about at all. I was using a Hardy Marksman 2 T series rod 13' long in a size 8. I landed the fish after a few jumps and runs bringing him in pretty strong because this is C&R fishing Tuesday - Saturday. The regs are; no harvest except Sat - Sun and Mon.

Playing by the rules I did not remove the fish from the water and found it very hard to handle the long rod, a large fish, and a camera all at once. Actually I'm not sure I got the whole fish in any pictures but I tried. Life would have been simpler if I were a 'reel dunker' because I kept my rod handle and reel clamped between my thighs while taking the pictures.

Anyway with the pictures done I went back to casting my fly. Two cast later I had a second male a tad larger than the first, perhaps 27 - 28 pounds I think. I did the same crazy drill again and got a few pictures.

Back into the river I went and within another 2 or 3 cast had another! At this point I was wishing it were a trout because 3 of these things in short order all weighing about 26 - 29 pounds is sort of like work. This third fish was a hen and a huge one swollen with eggs so I handled even more quickly than the others. as soon as I saw the head and the girth I knew it to be a female and I brought it into about 3 - 4" of water with as much force as the rod and a 15 pound test leader could deliver. I removed the hook and took a couple quick shots while holding her tail and away she went.

It was when I stood up that I glanced something from the bottom of my vision and heard the splash. Oh _ _ _ _ (fill in with your choice) I snatched it up within a second or 2 at best but the deed was done..............

At about 3:30 PM I caught one of the nicest rainbows I've had in years after getting a few average fish but there was no chance for recording this fish. So, either the camera will recover or I'll buy a waterproof to replace it. The photos will get retrieved one way or another and I'll post the fish I was able to get before the dunking. I am just so glad it wasn't my Nikon SLR with the Sigma 10 mm wide angle lens on it. That camera and lens would have got the whole fish in the pictures for sure but had I dropped it in the river the damage would be much worse.

Ard
Rip Tide, popperfly and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-03-2013, 05:20 PM

len s is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 Kings & A Wet Camera;

Panasonic TS4 good down to 44 feet and shock proof from 6 ft..Maybe even Alaskan fishing guide proof or at least resistant

Len
Old 07-03-2013, 05:38 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Click the image to open in full size.

D10 Canon

I use it every trip, saltwater or freshwater.

Click the image to open in full size.
Beautiful colors, dependable to 35' (deeper than waders).
Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

I had something similar happen but far less damaging. Forgot to zip my vest pocket, first dumb thing, then leaned over to rinse my hands, 2nd thing, and my fly box fell out and started floating away !! That was a "never again" moment. What I can suggest about your camera, is if it has a removable SD card and your computer won't recognize it, get a card reader($8). The SD card plugs into the reader which plugs into the USB port of the computer. Sounds like a great day despite the camera baptism !
Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,

It sure sounds like you're starting to get into the fish as of late. That's great to hear! Hopefully you'll be able to revive the camera, rice in a ziplock can do wonders. I'm hoping for the best. Until then, you might want to consider taking the Mrs. along to handle the shots

Good luck buddy!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker19 View Post
I had something similar happen but far less damaging. Forgot to zip my vest pocket, first dumb thing, then leaned over to rinse my hands, 2nd thing, and my fly box fell out and started floating away !! That was a "never again" moment. What I can suggest about your camera, is if it has a removable SD card and your computer won't recognize it, get a card reader($8). The SD card plugs into the reader which plugs into the USB port of the computer. Sounds like a great day despite the camera baptism !
Got a card reader already and will get some pictures around now.

After seeing the pictures I have to restate the weights of those fish I think ranging from 18 - 23 pounds is more realistic

What can I say, I was so stoked to catch some kings that they looked huge to me. That's what happens when you catch a bunch of 2 - 3 pound trout and then get something big.

Please don't be disappointed that the fish are not bright silver and fresh from the sea. It's July already and this particular river has been too high for me to fish until now. A week or 2 ago the fish would have been bright but they are turning fast now. I'd call them about 1/2 way to full spawning color. When they are full, they are almost a deep burgundy color.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

congrats on the fish ard! looking forward to seeing them.
crummy deal on the electronics, hope your camera pulls through

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 PM

branjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura about

I learned a trick on phones that might help in a case like this, maybe for future reference. Once you plunge some sort of electronic in the water and you know it's fully saturated, water has gotten to the interior equipment. Do not take it out of the water real quick, first take out the batteries underwater. Apparently damage will occur when said device tries to power up again with water on the components. It's best to dry it and then install the batteries, then power up. This has saved me a phone before.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:31 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by branjg View Post
I learned a trick on phones that might help in a case like this, maybe for future reference. Once you plunge some sort of electronic in the water and you know it's fully saturated, water has gotten to the interior equipment. Do not take it out of the water real quick, first take out the batteries underwater. Apparently damage will occur when said device tries to power up again with water on the components. It's best to dry it and then install the batteries, then power up. This has saved me a phone before.
Don't know about opening it u/w, but I have another suggestion.
My guide in Belize dropped his cell phone in the water while I was there in May. Everyone suggested the "rice-in-a-bag fix", but he said that doesn't work. He rinsed it in fresh water, inside and out, then set the phone on the tin roof to bake in the sun. It sat there all day. By that afternoon it was working fine, and it worked the remainder of the trip (2 more weeks).