The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Pictures of The Fish;

I'm shopping the Pentax Optio for the past day Larry, problem is that the best buys do not ship to AK. These are sellers on the eBay out of NYC. Prices as low as 189 but no AK. sales........... It would be cool to get underwater shots of fish this season.

I may go for a couple more tomorrow. The Cannon is still in the rice, I hope it recovers because it has been a handy little thing for the money.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-04-2013, 11:03 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,

If you find the right deal on the camera but can't get it shipped to AK, don't let that stop you. Get it shipped to me, I'll ensure it's shipped to you.
milt spawn likes this.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Massive! Maybe I'm an alarmist, but isn't something wrong when Alaska doesn't have enough fish??? milt
Old 07-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi milt,

The King salmon numbers have plunged throughout Alaska over the past 5 years. At this time there is no consensus of opinion as to what are the contributing factors. All we really know is that the runs are week. We have one river here, The Deshka, that for whatever reason has maintained itself somewhat and the harvest is allowed there.

I have not ventured to the Deshka because of the very fact that the run is strong there. Being the only river open to harvest in South central Alaska the fishing pressure at this time is heavy. I prefer to go where there is no one else and the river where these kings were caught.......... I was alone. I mean no other boat trailers at the launching area, none on the river, no one. It was peaceful, quiet, and as you can see I was able to catch fish until I decided to move on.

The Talachulitna River is also a C&R fishery for kings and I have been fishing up there. At that river I caught no salmon although they seemed plentiful. I went to trout fish and was able to catch plenty of trout. With the pressure on the kings I am focusing on trout & grayling. However, I would have loved it if I would have had a customer along the other day to catch those kings. I'm pretty sure that I could have instructed another fisherman or woman in such a way that they would have had the same results. had that been the case, I may not have dunked the camera

I took a look at the traffic on my web site and see that there have been 849 visits as of today. Maybe one of these days one of the viewers will take a chance on me. at this time I'm going to stay busy on the cabin until late July when I have some people to guide up at the Tal.

Ard
fysh, milt spawn and caseywise like this.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Ard, hopefully things will turn around soon for the salmon in south central.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Actually John there are quite a few fish in this year. I don't agree with allowing harvest in some places because we are still below escapement in many rivers but they are here if you know where to look. I believe there are enough here that I could go tomorrow and repeat Tuesday's fishing.