The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 07:14 AM

superbike1 is on a distinguished road
Default L.L.Bean reel

Just checked the mail and apparently my L.L.Bean reel that I ordered last week was in the mailbox all night. Wow! is all I can say. For the price I paid, It has a large arbor,click adjustable drag,one way bearing and it is aluminum. Not machined but cast and it is powder coated a non glare black finish. I couldn't be happier. Now I've gotta get it spooled and get out there and use it. Maybe an L.L.Bean rod is next. I am not rich and this is the perfect way to compliment my fishing setup. Woo Hoo!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:22 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L.L.Bean reel

Congratulations on getting that reel, it should serve you well for many good years of fishing. One more thing that reel has: their legendary guarantee. If you do have a problem, you won't have to worry with Bean.

Enjoy it!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 AM

The guarantee was one of the selling factors also!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:47 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

I have one of these also. I like it very much. From everything I can tell, its some sort of cassette-less version if the Scierra C-lite. Or perhaps the D-lite which doesnt seem to be in their "consumer" catalog any longer.

Last edited by moxnichts; 07-05-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 PM

I ordered a better rod through Cabelas today. They had an outstanding 4th of July sale going on. Couldn't resist.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:05 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Congratulations on getting that reel, it should serve you well for many good years of fishing. One more thing that reel has: their legendary guarantee. If you do have a problem, you won't have to worry with Bean.

Enjoy it!
I actually called them up and spoke with a guy in the fishing department because I have been thinking about purchasing a 3wt Crosswater outfit. Great people to talk with over the phone. The guy did not hold back on anything and further talked about his personal experiences with the rods etc...
jaybo41 likes this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Two personal experiences with Bean.

Years ago, I had a Bean daypack that I used for school. I had heard of Bean's warranty/guarantee and thought I'd put it to the test as the material right on the side of the zipper had torn. I explain my situation, they said: ship it back, we'll repair or replace it. I paid shipping to them, they shipped me a brand new pack after several years of use.

Several pair of waders back, I owned the West Branch waders. They leaked after a couple of seasons and I used Aqua Seal to seal them up. It worked good enough to get me through about 2 more years. I called bean, explained my situation, again, send them back, we'll repair or replace them. I made sure to tell them I had fished them for 4 years. They said that doesn't matter, if you're unhappy with them, please send them back. I didn't have the heart to send them back as I had fished them hard, but it goes to show how much your satisfaction means to them. Bean is a great company with a great story.
siege and enolaeagle like this.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:50 AM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

We have similar great experiences with LL Bean. I returned one of those Alley Cat trailer bikes to them one time. I had just purchased it and the next catalog a couple weeks later had a folding model and that would have been a great benefit to us. I called thinking I would offer to pay something, didn't exactly know what options I had, but point being I was willing to pay because this was all on me. They said pack it up and we will send you the folding model. We are happy Bean customers as well. Get their VISA card and get other perks, free shipping, cash back, additional %15 off at the moment at least.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:44 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I have a large arbor reel of theirs. Nice reel, and great warranty. Only one complaint. There is a little side to side play or giggle between spool and housing, that makes the whole setup a little less tight when casting.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:50 PM

My reel has no side to side play. I checked it! LoL! I did get my Cabelas rod in today and just came back in from yard casting. I bought a cheap,Three forks rod in 5wt and 8ft long. I have it over lined with a 6wt wt forward line on it and man,that thing casts so far without trying now. 50 feet with minimal effort. I was used to my cheap pfleuger 6wt and that thing is a workout compared to this rod. It also has really nice wraps on the snake guides. I can't wait to try one of those expensive rods now.LoL! I can't wait to go fishing either! So happy!