The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: If you could have only "ONE" fly?

Bead Head, Gold ribbed, Stick of dynamite, soft hackle.

Seriously, a Black bugger, about #10.
imxer likes this.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:11 PM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I can pretty much say the same thing, but I would replace Lefty's Deceiver with the Clouser Minnow.
x2 it's my favorite smallmouth fly
Old 07-04-2013, 04:03 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Scott Sanchez's Convertible is designed to be many flies in one.

Click the image to open in full size.

"The Convertible - FAOL"

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-04-2013, 04:13 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

16 Soft Hackle Bead Head Hares Ear for me!
rccola712 likes this.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

As the years have turned into this new century I have become almost exclusively a streamer fisherman. There are many streamers that catch fish but my own interpretation of the Nine Three has worked everywhere I have ever fished. I could exist with a lifeting supply of these.

Ard's Nine three;

By choosing this I would solve several problems at once; it will represent many species of bait fish, and because it is somewhat artistic it will allow me to retain some classic style while I fish with only one fly pattern to my name

Ard
Rip Tide, branjg, baseman1 and 1 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-04-2013, 06:08 PM

branjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura about

#14 olive stimulator, catches fish quite a bit.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:12 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

#14 HW Rio Grande King

I have a infestation in my fly boxes!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:16 PM

freak is on a distinguished road

14 Black Bugger
Old 07-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Calftail!

Welcome to the forum, WOW, that's a bunch of Rio Grand Kings bud. You're the first person I've heard mention that pattern here, it's an old one and I can see that you are a believer.

It's funny how we gravitate to a pattern like this huh/ In all practical matters we could probably do well with anything we tied to a leader within reason. However, we seem to arrive at a conclusion that it because of one certain fly that we are successful and we use that all the time. This no doubt accounts for why we do so well with our favorites.

I've found that with most of my best producing fly patterns the best way to get results is to know where to use the flies. By this I mean that I have learned the type place to cast the fly and whether or not to allow it any time on a dead drift. With most attractor patterns like my Nine Three & the Rio Grand King, what we generally don't want is for a fish to have time for a really good look at them.

Even when I am casting the fly to where I know or suspect a fish to be, I move the fly at the very moment that it strikes the water and begins to sink. I am relying on the 'splat' and the rapid movement to draw the attention of the fish, not the realistic appearance of my streamer. Once the fly is moving it does have the basic shape and movements of a small forage fish. It is the combination of the appearance as the fly swims away from the trout and the fact that there has been no opportunity for careful study that will get the grab from the fish.

Nice bunch of flies.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-04-2013, 09:07 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

Surprised I will be the first one to mention this fly, but I would go with a bead head hares ear. More specifically, a double bead hares ear. Probably size 14.