The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 11:44 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: If you could have only "ONE" fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Calftail!

Welcome to the forum, WOW, that's a bunch of Rio Grand Kings bud. You're the first person I've heard mention that pattern here, it's an old one and I can see that you are a believer.

It's funny how we gravitate to a pattern like this huh/ In all practical matters we could probably do well with anything we tied to a leader within reason. However, we seem to arrive at a conclusion that it because of one certain fly that we are successful and we use that all the time. This no doubt accounts for why we do so well with our favorites.

I've found that with most of my best producing fly patterns the best way to get results is to know where to use the flies. By this I mean that I have learned the type place to cast the fly and whether or not to allow it any time on a dead drift. With most attractor patterns like my Nine Three & the Rio Grand King, what we generally don't want is for a fish to have time for a really good look at them.

Even when I am casting the fly to where I know or suspect a fish to be, I move the fly at the very moment that it strikes the water and begins to sink. I am relying on the 'splat' and the rapid movement to draw the attention of the fish, not the realistic appearance of my streamer. Once the fly is moving it does have the basic shape and movements of a small forage fish. It is the combination of the appearance as the fly swims away from the trout and the fact that there has been no opportunity for careful study that will get the grab from the fish.

Nice bunch of flies.

Ard
Ard

One thing special to me about the Rio Grande King is that YOU CAN SEE IT! I think I lost most of my eyesight as a youth trying to spot those dark colored invisible flies like Quill Gordons, Adamses and the like, LOL. Frustrating when you have no idea where your fly is.

I use the very same technique you describe when fishing the far bank with a streamer, anticipating the unrolling loop and swimming the fly immediately when it hits the water. Two quick strips, a dead drift, followed by a few struggling twitches, then repeat. I fish the Rio Grande King dry the same way when skating the fly. I cast slightly downstream from 90* across in both cases, so that the fly tugs are moving the fly upstream; and sometimes put a sweeping curve cast across a fast current to keep the flies in the slower zone from dragging away. Sounds like we're on the same page.

Thanks for your welcome. Beautiful Nine Three you posted.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Business Member

taylorreels will become famous soon enoughtaylorreels will become famous soon enough

It would have to be a toss up between a hares ear and a wooly bugger. If I had to choose I would probably go with a wooly bugger! Black beadhead to be exact.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:53 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorreels View Post
It would have to be a toss up between a hares ear and a wooly bugger. If I had to choose I would probably go with a wooly bugger! Black beadhead to be exact.

Click the image to open in full size.
Good call. I can't think of a single fish in fresh water that I haven't hooked on the above. Including King Salmon.
Hardyreels likes this.