If you could have only "ONE" fly?

flymoron

Reaction score
if you could only have one fly to use for both cold and warm water, what size and pattern would it be???????????

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Alright, I'll play
The "one fly that does it all" is easy. The Lefty's Deceiver.
Choosing one size would be more difficult. That's what makes the deceiver so versatile. It can be tied in different styles to represent many kinds of bait .

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Alright, I'll play
The "one fly that does it all" is easy. The Lefty's Deceiver.
Choosing one size would be more difficult. That's what makes the deceiver so versatile. It can be tied in different styles to represent many kinds of bait.
I can pretty much say the same thing, but I would replace Lefty's Deceiver with the Clouser Minnow.

siege

Reaction score
One fly for all ? My vote would go to the Wooly Bugger. There are so many ways to tie this classic you can't list them all. Adjust the hook size, hackle, tail length,color,etc. The variations are endless. The basics can be altered to go wet or dry, nymph or streamer, drab or bright. This is the first fly most people learn to tie, and for good reason. So humble and so grand.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
One fly for all ? My vote would go to the Wooly Bugger. There are so many ways to tie this classic you can't list them all. Adjust the hook size, hackle, tail length,color,etc. The variations are endless. The basics can be altered to go wet or dry, nymph or streamer, drab or bright. This is the first fly most people learn to tie, and for good reason. So humble and so grand.
I think that would be my choice as well, you can't hardly go wrong with a wooly bugger.

tbum2020

Reaction score
The flavor bugger I tie will always be my "go to" pattern but in this situation I would have have to go with a #12 Olive FC Scud...

chechem

Reaction score
Freshwater fly: Prince (no bead); Wooly is close second, but I'm assuming it's a survival-type question (Black Wooly is better for bigger fish; prince for catching something).

Saltwater fly: Clouser (green)

williamhj

Reaction score
+1 for the wooly bugger. If one color than probably olive with black hackle. If one size, that's the tough one. Perhaps a 6 or 8? Ideally I'd do 1/0 - 12 :)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
As the years have turned into this new century I have become almost exclusively a streamer fisherman. There are many streamers that catch fish but my own interpretation of the Nine Three has worked everywhere I have ever fished. I could exist with a lifeting supply of these.

Ard's Nine three;

By choosing this I would solve several problems at once; it will represent many species of bait fish, and because it is somewhat artistic it will allow me to retain some classic style while I fish with only one fly pattern to my name :D

Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Calftail!

Welcome to the forum, WOW, that's a bunch of Rio Grand Kings bud. You're the first person I've heard mention that pattern here, it's an old one and I can see that you are a believer.

It's funny how we gravitate to a pattern like this huh/ In all practical matters we could probably do well with anything we tied to a leader within reason. However, we seem to arrive at a conclusion that it because of one certain fly that we are successful and we use that all the time. This no doubt accounts for why we do so well with our favorites.

I've found that with most of my best producing fly patterns the best way to get results is to know where to use the flies. By this I mean that I have learned the type place to cast the fly and whether or not to allow it any time on a dead drift. With most attractor patterns like my Nine Three & the Rio Grand King, what we generally don't want is for a fish to have time for a really good look at them.

Even when I am casting the fly to where I know or suspect a fish to be, I move the fly at the very moment that it strikes the water and begins to sink. I am relying on the 'splat' and the rapid movement to draw the attention of the fish, not the realistic appearance of my streamer. Once the fly is moving it does have the basic shape and movements of a small forage fish. It is the combination of the appearance as the fly swims away from the trout and the fact that there has been no opportunity for careful study that will get the grab from the fish.

Nice bunch of flies.

Ard