The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 12:03 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice
Default Do you get Mad while fishing?

I ran out early this morning with a buddy of mine to a trout stream at a FF only drag. There was quite a few fisherman around... We both came up short but mostly I was having an awesome time watching another guy with a horrible attitude.

He was probably 26 years old, all decked out with the most expensive gear and clothing I've seen. The guy was nymphing or throwing emergers but not a thing. He was getting p!ssed and started slamming his line (fly) in the water. Kept moving around and kicking through the water like a kid at a water park. Red face, looked mad... (I almost felt like a 70 ft double haul and snagging his line)

When we were leaving, he was at his vehicle throwing his rod around... I can only guess he was upset with not catching anything. Who knows, maybe there was something else going on but I thought it was kinda lowsy behavior regardless.

I never get mad but just like to get out. If I lose multiple flies, I might get annoyed but definately don't stomp around. Do you guys see this going on quite a bit?
mcnerney likes this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-04-2013, 12:23 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do you get Mad while fishing?

I only get mad when I'm not fishing. Not much makes me too mad, but fishing is my attitude readjust pastime, catching or not, falling or not...etc.
mcnerney, brhitch and enolaeagle like this.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:23 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a fly fisher throw his fly rod across Slough Creek when he couldn't get a rising trout to take his fly.
mcnerney likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-04-2013, 12:43 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I see it, but it isn't unique to fly fishing or expensive gear. Golf, team sports, traffic, waiting in lines, screaming children, etc etc etc etc. People lose their tempers. Some people are immature and aren't able to manage their emotions, some people have emotional/psychological issues, and probably everyone has a bad day from time to time. When you see that kind of anger over something minor, there's something else going on in that person's life or personality. It can be interesting to watch but I doubt snagging his line would have contributed positively to the situation or improved the day for anyone. Best is usually to ignore or diffuse.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxnichts View Post
I only get mad when I'm not fishing. Not much makes me too mad, but fishing is my attitude readjust pastime, catching or not, falling or not...etc.
I'm the same way, its my attitude readjust time! Catching is always fun, but if I get skunked it's no big deal, I try to learn something from it.
imxer, cowger10 and yonder like this.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:59 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I saw a fly fisher throw his fly rod across Slough Creek when he couldn't get a rising trout to take his fly.
In target archery this is called "gravel tuning" your equipment. Gravel tuners rarely stay in the sport too long. I suspect the same is true for fly fishing.
noreaster likes this.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:06 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Na, if you healthy 'nuff to fish, the other should be pure joy.
rusty 54 likes this.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:15 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

I have never had a bad day of fishing. I have had some bad days of catching, but never a bad day of fishing.
I read someone else's quote that said " trout don't live in ugly places ".
That is so true. So when I am out there in a cold clear stream, the banks lined with bright green willows, wildflowers on the sides of the hills, and a clear blue sky high above me, how could I ever get mad ?
I'm thankful for the opportunity to enjoy what beauty was created and the peace fishing brings. Mad ? Never.
imxer, rusty 54, brhitch and 1 others like this.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:15 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

A skunking is all part of it. I'm less than thrilled but am OK with that. When I get frustrated, I find a spot on the bank and watch the stream or my fishing partner. I had at least one occurrence of this on my spring trip this year. Started with a new leader, snapped it pretty high up. Rebuilt it, a few casts and got hung up again. Snapped it again, back to rebuilding. Repeat the process. After 2 rebuilds I figured it was time for a break. It happens. I try to take it all in stride and try to learn from it, being on the water is far better than working if you ask me.
yonder likes this.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:26 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I severely had that problem today (about 8 times). Either way, its neat watching them check out my offering.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...