The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default It took two minutes to read ......

" Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

A L.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Lincoln was wrong.

In his address, he said, "The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, ...".

Instead, the Gettysburg Address is one of the most-noted and long-remembered speeches given by any President.
fredaevans and double d like this.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:19 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: It took two minutes to read ......

To think that, after he gave the speech, Lincoln thought it was a failure, as did many journalists.
Randy
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:44 AM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about

It should be mandatory monthly reading for all members of Congress & the Senate.
stenacron likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotech_joe View Post
It should be mandatory monthly reading for all members of Congress & the Senate.
And school children should still be required to memorize this in elementary school. Didn't hurt me and my friends at all.
double d likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lincoln was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
In his address, he said, "The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, ...".

Instead, the Gettysburg Address is one of the most-noted and long-remembered speeches given by any President.
Indeed Sir Indeed. Steven Douglas spoke next .... for two hours ... and no one remembers a single word he said.

Fred

---------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
And school children should still be required to memorize this in elementary school. Didn't hurt me and my friends at all.
Can't speak for now, but when I was a kid in school, every day started by saying "I pledge allegiance .... " as we faced the American flag that was in every school room. My "Green Card" was in my pocket.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Just took a glance a that this thread and realized what it was.

I happenend to be working on thoughts related to my dissertation--on Union Civil War veterans. This gave me some ideas.
double d likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
Just took a glance a that this thread and realized what it was.

I happened to be working on thoughts related to my dissertation--on Union Civil War veterans. This gave me some ideas.
Just from memory, 600,000+ men killed/wounded. Lines of men would stand 50 - 100 yards apart and reload a (roughly) 50 caliber lead slug and power and fire. Then do it again, and again.

Some because they wanted a separate Country; the rest because we have just one Country.

There's a short clip in "Saving Private Ryan" where General George Marshall reads a letter sent to a Mother of a lost Northern Soldier.

Breathtaking. Start there.

Frederick A. Evans
double d likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Quote:
At least the ones that can read. There are some real idiots in Congress. Can someone explain to me why the congress has a 10% approval rating and yet 90% of them get re-elected. Makes no sense to me.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Good message Fred.

I strongly encourage anyone that finds themselves in the area to visit Gettysburg and tour the old town (where Lincoln wrote his speech), battlefields, cemeteries, museums, etc. It will send chills down your spine. The numbers of those killed/wounded is staggering.
fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring