The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By siege
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 12:55 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Rod length for windy days

I know that the heavier rod wt will help to cast in a windy day but what about the length of the rod? Let's say a 6wt rod.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:04 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod length for windy days

I have gone back and forth on this topic. In theory a longer rod will give you more leverage to throw line. When it comes to wind, I do not notice much or any difference when it comes to lengths and wind.

Since I do not notice much or any difference when it comes to lengths and wind, I use a nine foot rod. The choice came down to which rod length that I felt more comfortable for casting.

Dennis
Old 07-05-2013, 01:50 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I'm with Dennis on this, although longer rods sometimes "feel" like they have a slight advantage in wind. A nine footer is great for most conditions. Shorter rods seem to have their advantages while fishing in tighter quarters like small, narrow creeks.

-VB
Old 07-05-2013, 02:23 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

At least for me, the length of rod I'm fishing with depends on the size of the stream. I don't want something too long that will make tight casting lanes too cumbersome.

I actually just added a 6wt in 9ft variety this year so +1 more in that camp.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:38 PM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

You have a 4pc rod...? Just use 3! haha
Old 07-05-2013, 03:14 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I have an old Fenwick 9ft in 8wt that I seldom use anymore. It was my " big water" rod when I lived by the Madison years ago. I drag it out for windy days, and it will still shoot a wf line out there in a pretty strong breeze.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I have gone back and forth on this topic. In theory a longer rod will give you more leverage to throw line. When it comes to wind, I do not notice much or any difference when it comes to lengths and wind.

Since I do not notice much or any difference when it comes to lengths and wind, I use a nine foot rod. The choice came down to which rod length that I felt more comfortable for casting.

Dennis
Yeah but the longer the rod the more mass there is to push against the wind.
.....but I don't think that it makes a bit of difference either

I do know that lines with a large diameter are much more difficult to cast into the wind than skinny lines.
When the wind is really howling I'll choose a thin full sinking line over a fat floating line every time even if it's going to be harder to control in the water
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:14 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

The rod that is in question in this case is my 6wt 7'10" Redington predator.
I like this rod more than my 8wt 8ft but I haven't really tested it in a very windy situation. I am gonna be traveling for 7 weeks to some countries in Asia and can't have too many gears with me. I am pretty sure the 6wt predator can handle some good size fish, I am only worry about the wind in those countries.

On a side note, I actually found out that roll casting was much harder with shorter rod. Or is it just my technique?