The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By bear 007
  • 3 Post By siege

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 10:26 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Beaver Trouble

I got up early to hit my local stream this morning, it was warm but I figured I'd give it a shot. I knew I was in trouble when I saw the swarm of deer-flies following the truck, I had to hit the DEET first thing. The moose-flies were at least an inch long, we've had way to much rain. The deet did its thing and I made it in without any bloodshed. So I'm standing in a riffle that's probably eight to ten inches deep throwing soft hackles downstream, all of a sudden splash, waters flying all over the place, my back is soaked, I let out a scream that would have woke the dead. I looked back and there's a small Beaver upstream staring at me just as if he's laughing. Now this is the second time this has happened to me in this spot, the first time I was changing a fly and he got me from the front, how the heck can he come through eight inches of water without me knowing, the stream is only ten feet wide? I've fished around Beavers lots of times, they usually keep there distance and I keep mine but this guy here he's got my number.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:00 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Re: Beaver Trouble

Boy, does that bring back memories,Tim. I was sitting on a stump on opening day of hunting season a few years ago. We got in the woods early, and were silently waiting for the sun to come up. I was stationed right by a beaver pond, and my buddies spread out to strategic spots in the area.
Suddenly there was a HUGE blam.In the dark silence, it sounded like a big bore rifle shot, right next to my ear. A beaver had slapped his tail on the water, and I fell over backwards off the stump.
All I hurt was my pride. The beaver was smart enough to stay in his lodge all morning. He is probably still grining
mcnerney, fredaevans and bear 007 like this.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:20 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

I steer clear of beavers after hearing this...

Beaver kills man in Belarus | World news | guardian.co.uk
Old 07-06-2013, 01:29 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieoutlaw View Post

Interesting article though the guy grabbed the animal to get a picture, candidate for the Darwin awards? I've seen them on the water, they can be big! Sounds like your fishing spot must be near his house or something he travels to often if you keep seeing him. I've been shocked how suddenly beavers or muskrats, or foxes, or deer etc can appear in or near the water. Even when I'm actively fishing it is like they see me differently in the water than on the shore.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:25 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

I guess he was asking for it by trying to grab it but I really have never seen one get so close. I've had them hiss at me when I was on their dam but this one gets right up to you.

Last edited by bear 007; 07-06-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:53 AM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The chances of this situation occurring are astronomical. These sort of "Trends" are the kinda i can laugh at, its when an event has occurred so much that the news stops reporting them that I start to worry.
If this situation leads to people look behind the backs while their out in the wild than all I have to ask is how they even can walk through the woods without having a heart attack from all the trees their passing because at any second one could come crashing down and smash them. As sarcastic as that may sound, when looking strictly at the raw numbers, if in a given area you find the percent chance by taking the number of fallen trees per tree and the population of beavers using the number of related deaths as the constant you might second guess the math because the tree related incidents would be that much greater.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:22 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

that beaver could be your best friend or your worst...well you know. It may be providing a deeper hole for trout to spend warmer summer days...or it could ruin the spot too due to changing existing patterns?

I used to fish beaver dams in Co that made for great cut throat fishing...I also saw them flood out a small pasture making what was a gin clear run all muddy and way to warm. In that situation they had to be trapped to protect acres of farmland and pasture.

Beaver, over time tend to attract Otters , which can for sure put a damper on trout...

he is a part of the same nature as the trout...as far as danger...they are way more afraid of us than we should be of them. I love seeing them, one of my favorite critters...

if there isnt a lodge nearby, you might have just gotten too close to a bank den, something they do in lieu of building lodges sometimes. And it was just protecting its cubs inside...

whatever the resaon...I think the experience you had is pretty cool, one you will probably be telling as one of your stories for years to come...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 07-06-2013, 08:15 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Beaver Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbum2020 View Post
The chances of this situation occurring are astronomical. These sort of "Trends" are the kinda i can laugh at, its when an event has occurred so much that the news stops reporting them that I start to worry.
If this situation leads to people look behind the backs while their out in the wild than all I have to ask is how they even can walk through the woods without having a heart attack from all the trees their passing because at any second one could come crashing down and smash them. As sarcastic as that may sound, when looking strictly at the raw numbers, if in a given area you find the percent chance by taking the number of fallen trees per tree and the population of beavers using the number of related deaths as the constant you might second guess the math because the tree related incidents would be that much greater.
I've had very little in the way of 'things' to make me laugh, even smile, this past week. SCORE #3.

"...if there isnt a lodge nearby, you might have just gotten too close to a bank den, something they do in lieu of building lodges sometimes. And it was just protecting its cubs inside..."

That would be the upper Rogue River. Never seen one, just seen the cleaned off tree branches. All over the place. Jim Jones and I used to watch this one river side tree as it had the base 'chomped away.' Took weeks, but the little Bugger finally dropped the thing.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:56 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I had a beaver literally bump my leg once while I was wading. Startled the heck out of me.

A well placed 330 Conibear solves the beaver problem, & he won't be laughing! (In the proper season & within the law of course!)

I did a lot of fur trapping when I was younger, and have caught beavers that weighed over 60 lbs. They're normally not a danger or threat to us, and usually avoid us, but when you're wading, you're in their territory! This time of year, they may still be raising their young ones & can be very aggressive if they feel threatened. Something to keep in mind!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!