The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 11:44 PM

zarick is on a distinguished road
Default A little help and info about casting

I am totally new to this sport, just got my first rod and reel.
I have been practicing out side and I think today I finally had an aha moment.
I stopped trying to hit a mark and started watching the way my line was acting (I did take a 2 hour lesson, but still didn't get it) and then I saw the wave and realized what I must do is make a wave travel the length of the line.
So after that the getting my line straight out in front of me seemed to start (got a long ways to go) coming together.
However, as this is my first pole (echo solo 6wt 9' Med-fast action) I am wondering about the tip. I note that I think I am throwing a little hard as the whole top 1/4 area bends back then flings forward. Sometimes I get a bit of a bounce, but I think with practice I can back off the bounce.
So my question is.. should I be working to keep the pole from bending on cast or is it suppose to bend on cast? Is a stiffer pole better?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:38 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A little help and info about casting

The weight of the line on a cast causes the rod to bend. That springy bend is stored energy. On the final forward cast and release, the stored energy is transferred to the line making the line shoot out.
As long as you are just learning, Google up some vids on hauling-It may also illustrate the mechanics of casting too. Best learn it now than to re? un? learn it later. I wish I had.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 07-06-2013, 01:01 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarick View Post
I think I am throwing a little hard as the whole top 1/4 area bends back then flings forward. Sometimes I get a bit of a bounce, but I think with practice I can back off the bounce.
So my question is.. should I be working to keep the pole from bending on cast or is it suppose to bend on cast? Is a stiffer pole better?
You seem to be doing exactly what you should be... that bend is called 'loading the rod'. The bounce back could very well mean that you have a good, pronounced stop.
Just having your post to diagnose what you're doing, it seems more of that two hour session sunk in than you give yourself credit for.

Since you say you are bending the top 1/4 of the rod you have you still have 3/4 left in it to load as you progress in your casting. Gets some time in on the rod you're using and then you can answer the fast rod question yourself.
In a nutshell though, fast is better for longer casts (sometimes) and for windier conditions. The thing with fast action rods is that you usually need to be spot-on with your timing or they can fail miserably.

Enjoy the ride. Part of the fun is watching your casts slowly but surely getting better.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:54 AM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road

It has taken me 20 years to get pretty good as several different casts & presentations using a fly rod. The good thing is, this part of the sport will keep you engaged for a good long time, that is, as soon as you get one cast down, it is time to learn another type of cast.

I was in the surf the other day practicing my double haul & shooting. I was rusty, but got it going just in time for an approaching fish! It never ends. Which is good, I think...

Good luck with the quest...
Old 07-06-2013, 12:10 PM

zarick is on a distinguished road

Okay, thanks!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:27 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Pop into your local fly shop. I'm sure they have a demo rod rigged that they'll let you try out. I've gotten to cast lots of rods I'll never have the $$ to buy but it's nice to know how the other half lives.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey