The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By silvertip8k
  • 1 Post By streamborn_jr77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 05:28 AM

streamborn_jr77 is on a distinguished road
Default Furled leader

What exactly is a furled leader and how do they work? Has anyone been using one?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:33 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Furled leader

Cutthroat Leaders, Furled Leaders, Fly Fishing Leaders, Braided leaders, tiipet can give you your answer
Old 07-07-2013, 06:41 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

I really like using furled leaders where there is the possibility of some larger trout. The leader acts as another "shock" absorber taking some of the jolt from a hard run helping out the tippet material.

they are also great at helping dry fly rigs lay out nice and straight. Many times I will use a 6 foot furled and only tie on tippet material to that...

the company mentioned above(cut-throat) is a great source for someone that does not make their own. Their site is very informative on the topic...
siege likes this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 07-07-2013, 10:30 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Use Joni's furles on my light 2handers.

PURE MAGIC for Trout fishing in Montana. Hell of it is, at 70 - 90 feet you have no idea where your 'flees' are save for looking down the line, add 12 foot for the leader and guess from there.

Rogue River summer run Steelhead fishing is far shorter than that, but same deal. But at least I know where the hell the end of my leader is.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:58 AM

streamborn_jr77 is on a distinguished road

Well shoot i guess im gonna have to try one out! Thanks for the help guys!
williamhj likes this.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:02 PM

gannoli is on a distinguished road

I've been using some of these twisted leaders for some time now. They work pretty good and you never have to worry about the leader shortening. I connect the fly line to the leader with a loop to loop. Then tie a double surgeon's loop on the end of the tippet and make a loop to loop connection to the leader.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:30 PM

crohnie31 is on a distinguished road

I think they work great, and last longer than mono leaders. The furled leaders I bought have a little ring to attach tippet. Before I go out I'll cut several sizes of tippet to the length I want and tie the loops already before I'm even on the water. That way it saves you a step when you're in the water and all you have to do is grab what you want and attach loops.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:50 PM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crohnie31 View Post
I think they work great, and last longer than mono leaders. The furled leaders I bought have a little ring to attach tippet. Before I go out I'll cut several sizes of tippet to the length I want and tie the loops already before I'm even on the water. That way it saves you a step when you're in the water and all you have to do is grab what you want and attach loops.
I do the same with tippets but I loop them while on my spools ahead of time. That way I can just pull out an arms length or so. Last week, I was fishing with a buddy (my tippet rolls are exposed on my pouch, stacked inside of a rope rig) and he said... "why the hell are all those loops sticking out of your spools... you look like an idiot"

He likes to try and get me worked up..

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...