Furled leader

silvertip8k

Reaction score
I really like using furled leaders where there is the possibility of some larger trout. The leader acts as another "shock" absorber taking some of the jolt from a hard run helping out the tippet material.

they are also great at helping dry fly rigs lay out nice and straight. Many times I will use a 6 foot furled and only tie on tippet material to that...

the company mentioned above(cut-throat) is a great source for someone that does not make their own. Their site is very informative on the topic...

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Use Joni's furles on my light 2handers.

PURE MAGIC for Trout fishing in Montana. Hell of it is, at 70 - 90 feet you have no idea where your 'flees' are save for looking down the line, add 12 foot for the leader and guess from there.

Rogue River summer run Steelhead fishing is far shorter than that, but same deal. But at least I know where the hell the end of my leader is.:faint:

gannoli

Reaction score
I've been using some of these twisted leaders for some time now. They work pretty good and you never have to worry about the leader shortening. I connect the fly line to the leader with a loop to loop. Then tie a double surgeon's loop on the end of the tippet and make a loop to loop connection to the leader.

crohnie31

Reaction score
I think they work great, and last longer than mono leaders. The furled leaders I bought have a little ring to attach tippet. Before I go out I'll cut several sizes of tippet to the length I want and tie the loops already before I'm even on the water. That way it saves you a step when you're in the water and all you have to do is grab what you want and attach loops.

enolaeagle

Reaction score
I think they work great, and last longer than mono leaders. The furled leaders I bought have a little ring to attach tippet. Before I go out I'll cut several sizes of tippet to the length I want and tie the loops already before I'm even on the water. That way it saves you a step when you're in the water and all you have to do is grab what you want and attach loops.
I do the same with tippets but I loop them while on my spools ahead of time. That way I can just pull out an arms length or so. Last week, I was fishing with a buddy (my tippet rolls are exposed on my pouch, stacked inside of a rope rig) and he said... "why the hell are all those loops sticking out of your spools... you look like an idiot" :icon_lol:

He likes to try and get me worked up..