The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Starting to look to upgrade my arsenal.

I am looking to expand my arsenal soon.

Since i spend over 100+ days on the stream...it's easy to justify.

Currently, looking only at American made. Which leaves the pickin's slim. Even at that, It's a good problem to have. Do i really want a rod built by a factory worker that will never cast a dry fly to a rising trout? As i get older, that answer is, no.

I got into fly-fishing when i was around 14. Long before the internet, the whole edgy film festival type of stuff and the marketing that goes with it. The only way to help educate yourself,with out a mentor, was to wait for the Field and Stream to get to the mailbox....There was a mystique to it......

What a difference 30 years has made on the sport. Unfortunately, i think for the worse.

Jim
Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting to look to upgrade my arsenal.

Jim
How true, I got into FF in the early 80's and learned by reading the FF magazines, was too dumb to go to a fly shop and get some casting lessons. Took me over a year of beating the water to a froth before I got my casting down. Now days with the internet and all the information online it is much easier to learn the basics.
Good luck with the search for a new rod!
williamhj and yonder like this.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:03 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Jim
Now days with the internet and all the information online it is much easier to learn the basics.
How true! I read books and magazines but have learned so much online - between videos and forums (like this!) I don't know what I'd do without it. These days I feel fortunate to find time to fish, much less link up with others to learn in person. Would have loved to have had a 'mentor' when I started, but at that time couldn't find experienced folks who were interested. Thankfully had a friend who helped and a few guided trips that included on-stream casting lessons.

Many options for rods out there, some American made. Haven't looked into it myself but good luck on the search!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:25 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
I am looking to expand my arsenal soon.

Since i spend over 100+ days on the stream...it's easy to justify.

Currently, looking only at American made. Which leaves the pickin's slim. Even at that, It's a good problem to have. Do i really want a rod built by a factory worker that will never cast a dry fly to a rising trout? As i get older, that answer is, no.

I got into fly-fishing when i was around 14. Long before the internet, the whole edgy film festival type of stuff and the marketing that goes with it. The only way to help educate yourself,with out a mentor, was to wait for the Field and Stream to get to the mailbox....There was a mystique to it......

What a difference 30 years has made on the sport. Unfortunately, i think for the worse.

Jim
I learned how to fly fish in New Brunswick back in the 80's where my folks had a cottage on a lake. As a kid I remember many rainy days tying flies and reading magazines with Gary Boger and others on the cover, among some nice trout pics with flies in their mouths.
Oddly enough there were no trout in the lake. Dad and I would go to a spot at the heads of the Big Salmon River. Small little Brookies only up to about half pound but that little lake was a magical place to me. We knew nothing about weights and lines or reels. We were both fishing Fenwick 8 wts. Just went at it with what felt right or was recommended at the counter.

Thinking back it was a very ritualistic experience.

1. Beg Dad to take me fishing.
2. He'd set a plan for about 4 or 5 days later. Always made me wait, maybe to build the suspense and my patience.
3. Make a lunch in the morning.
4. Secure canoe on car rack. Load car with gear.
4.Leave in early afternoon.
5. Stop at convenience store for nut bars, chips and Pepsi's. Proceed to little lake.
6.Fish for rest of afternoon and evening.

Some of the best memories I have at age 14, 15, 16, and up through my 20's too.

Last edited by noreaster; 07-07-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:47 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Don't overlook St. Croix rods or Bauer reels--both MIUSA and less popular than they should be, if popularity were based on quality.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:28 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
Don't overlook St. Croix rods or Bauer reels--both MIUSA and less popular than they should be, if popularity were based on quality.
Bauer was on my short list..to me, I have to admit...the only draw backs is looks. Hatch is at the top of the list....for now.

Rod wise, Burkheimer is at the top.

My first rod was an old eagle claw glass...nicknamed it the bumblebee. I think the rod and reel with line cost me all but $25 in 84....those where the days.

What about Jerry Mcguniess(sp)?..."the fishing hole". Probably my first real introduction as a kid. Maybe early 80's...Still remember an episode with him fishing with coach Knight.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:55 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:

Jim
Jim, There's plenty of American made gear so that shouldn't be a problem.

I also come to fly fishing from the pre-internet, in fact, the pre-personal computer days.
Besides the internet and digital cameras making hero's out of anybody in a few short days, the whole trust thing with secret fishing holes is a long gone memory. If the 'net doesn't let out every spot known to man there are magazines out that do nothing but publish about fishing spots from any writer willing to sell his soul for a few shekels.
The age old tradition of spending time (sometimes days) and a few bucks on coffee or beer to finally earn the trust of an old-timer enough that he tell you a special spot or two with the explicit promise that you never tell another person are over.
They say this makes for more people to help protect our waters but it also makes for more property owners get more protective of their resource.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:06 PM

Jackster...completely agree.

I have seen area's of the Smokies...that say, just 12 years ago never saw a fly.

I feel the internet has exposed a bit of the park. Not much seems to be a secret. I still have a couple of streams...that after a bit of a hike, then some crawling, that i can finally find some untouched waters...kinda what i live for.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What about Jerry Mcguniess(sp)?..."the fishing hole". Probably my first real introduction as a kid. Maybe early 80's...Still remember an episode with him fishing with coach Knight.
I remember that one. Atlantic salmon fishing with the General and the Splendid Splinter.
Mr. Williams was using a glass Fenwick rod with Medalist reel..... and this was well into the graphite era.

When I was a kid I used to watch "The Flying Fisherman" with Gadabout Gaddis every Saturday morning. It was TV's original fishing show.
He fished with a Shakespeare Wonder Rod

Click the image to open in full size.
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 PM

Figured it out...

Going to go with Winston....Going to wait till i get to Colorado to make the purchase....One thing i feel strongly about is supporting the local shop. Sure, i can save a couple bucks online....to me, it just doesn't feel right.

Nothing better than a shop that opens early and has very strong coffee waiting.

Although, i could never understand why most shops open at 8-9am...