The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default We're in Big Trouble

Several years ago, I posted a thread about a special place not far from here where I could hike in and fish without seeing another soul, except for a few deer, coyotes and rattlesnakes. The fish weren't big, but they were sure fun to catch and gently put back until the next time.

A little slice of heaven...(w/pics)

In the past two years, our rainfall has been just barely north of nothing out here, and this is the result:

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

It will take years for that spot to be a decent fishery again. I was really sad to see it go. We need some water out here, folks.

-VB
Old 07-07-2013, 11:30 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're in Big Trouble

Wow that hurts. I'm sorry to see that happen. Thought we were dry out here.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that is sad to see!

We were really low on snow pack this past winter, but had a pretty wet spring, but have heard that the irrigation water will be shut off early this year due to the lakes and rivers being below normal. Luckily for the hay ranchers it has been raining pretty good in the afternoons, at least this week, I just hope it continues until haying season is finished.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:06 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I only thought things like that only happened over here then again Southern California has a similar Climate to some parts of Australia.
About 4-5 years ago lots of our Rivers & Creeks looked the same.
Parts of Australia are back in Drought & also need a good drink however all Droughts are usually broken by Floods.
I hope your area gets a good soaking sooner than later.
As The Song Goes " It never Rains in Southern California".
Brian
fredaevans likes this.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 07-08-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:06 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Hear you Brian. Lived in British Columbia and Northern Washington for years. Rain we got, but until I moved to Santa Rosa, CA (1984) I only thought I'd seen rain.

Driving in bright sun shine and a grey wall in front of me. Went from 60 to 6 in seconds. Car did a 360 in the process.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:22 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

More recent weather trends have been strange to say the very least. By recent, I'm talking the last 10-15 years. For some of our younger members, that may very well be almost a lifetime! Here in SWPA we used to get 4 very distinct seasons. The new normal is 4 seasons that run together and overlap weather patterns.

I sure hope you guys get some much needed rain out there. That place looks like it could have been a real gem. For those of us who weren't around when you posted the "before" shots, can you either link the post or put up the "before" pictures?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I really hope we get some early rain this fall. We've had a particularly vicious and early fire season, and there's no moisture in the plants to slow the wildfires. Luckily, that location has not suffered any fires.

There's a rock outcropping at the back of the pond from which you can look down the steep canyon to the ocean just a few miles away. It's a beautiful spot.

When I fished there, the deer and other critters would often come down to the water to drink. I wonder where they're getting their water now.

The link to the older post is near the top part of the current post.

-VB
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:53 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Sometimes, more backcasting room isn't a good thing.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

That pond looks like one I use to float in the Santa Monica mountains. Sucks that these great little places go dry and the resource is lost. Going to the a tough summer no doubt.

Craig
Old 07-08-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
That pond looks like one I use to float in the Santa Monica mountains. Sucks that these great little places go dry and the resource is lost. Going to the a tough summer no doubt.

Craig
Craig,

This pond is in the Santa Monica Mountains. It could be the same one you float tubed in.

-VB