The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   popper flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/324548-popper-flies.html)

sammor 07-08-2013 05:10 PM

popper flies

hello everyone was on here last year asking about fishing in Florida Met someone who was going to help but his computer had been hacked so was not able to follow it up so I am sorry we could not follow it up. I have bought popper flies on e-bay but don't know how to use them . The forum I normally use has had no replies [I am I Scotland UK ] As they came from an American company I hope someone here can help [I fish for trout ]

bigjim5589 07-08-2013 05:25 PM

Re: popper flies

Poppers are often used for our warm water fishes here in the US. They float & can imitate many things, such as bait fishes, frogs, small mammals or larger insects. They're not commonly used for trout, but does not mean they can't work.

Most folks cast them, let them sit several seconds, then retrieve with quick, short strips of line. This will make them pop. However, sometimes varying the retrieve cadence & speed is more effective.

Quite simple actually.

yonder 07-08-2013 05:26 PM

Sammor.......welcome to the forum......you will find alot of good information here......give us more information on where you will be fishing, and what species of fish that you are interested in.....and surely, someone will be able to answer any questions you may have........I use poppers for bass and they work really well on our warmwater lakes and streams.......chartreuse color is one of my favorites......:) Like BigJim said above.........

sammor 07-08-2013 05:31 PM

thanks guys it helps should be over there next year so will be keen to learn your ways

tex 07-08-2013 05:40 PM

Depending on the shape of the front cup, it might take a good quick jerk (think power/speed of the strip as opposed to the distance of the strip) to get them to pop. I have had KILLER luck with small poppers, size 12, with small perch and even a handful of large mouth bass.

ditz 07-09-2013 10:33 AM

I also use small poppers. 1/4" dia. bodies with either a 12 or 10 hook. I prefer the kink shank hooks because they are a little longer than the hump shank hooks. Sunfish are the main targets with them but I have caught bass up to about 3# on them. I have also caught rock bass and a few crappie on them. I also catch what I call a creek chub. If I am targeting bass I will use larger poppers though I seldom use any larger than 1/2" dia. . Sometimes they want the popper moving fast and loud, fast and quiet, slow and loud, slow and quiet, and other times they want it not moving at all. The fish will let you know.