The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By yonder
  • 2 Post By waterfordcreek
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 05:26 PM

navezgane will become famous soon enough
Default Fishing micro creeks tactics

What are some of your tactics to fishing very small waters? I fished the smallest creek I have ever today that actually held some 10-12" fish. Problem is these fish were super spooky. I couldn't even get my fly in the water before they spooked. I was over gunned with an 8' 3wt and do plan on getting a 6' 2wt. The vegetation and debris in and around the water was thick so I was trying to high stick my casting. I'm guessing this was my first mistake? I did end up catching one and had a few other missed strikes.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fishing micro creeks tactics

I can relate........you need to keep your distance from the water and keep all of the flyline out of the water if possible........this is tough fishing......stealth and the technique of "dapping" will come into play........good luck, and also keep in mind......that all of your present "failures", will make you a better fisherman.........the lessons of experience do not come easily....hang in there....[and post some pics]..................you are being presented with a unique opportunity to learn the ways of trout!!! So, go get 'em'!!!!
imxer, jaybo41 and siege like this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Yonder is right on.

I will add...no brightly colored cloths....Neutrals only, if not camo and 7x.

My favorite sayin "Slow, Low and under the radar"

Jim
yonder and random user like this.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on yonder's advise. Keep the line off the water and minimize false casts by dapping.

This thread is a good read, in particular post #13 by silvercreek.

Tiny Creek Brookies
yonder likes this.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:30 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Get a basic tan cotton vest, some olive and some brown permanent fabric dye. Wash the vest and lay it out wet and flat. tie it up in sort of like tight sausage links. dye olive. set dye cut and remove the string. Repeat with the brown. You should end up with a mostly tan vest with dome olive and some brown vertical lines whaic help break up your profile.

Stay very low on your approach and step very softly and move very slowly. Vibration into the ground is the enemy.

Check Caswell plating. and electroplate all the shiny metal on the rod, a flat, dull color. With Caswell's kit you don't even have to disassemble the rod.

Tie up your own leaders that cast well by themselves, in the 12"-16" foot range and start with a butt diamater with the same flex as your fly line. (If you fold 3" of leader over 3" of fly line, pinch it there and then push down on the top, the two bows should match up fairly well.) Also do not be afraid to cast over many feet of non-water.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:37 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If you spook the fish getting into position, wait awhile (of the bugs allow). Sometimes the fish will start feeding again if you stay fairly still then you can slowly get your line out again. If you can, get in position with a large tree or shrub behind you.
yonder likes this.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Lots of good advice, already. I love small stream fishing. I usually tell my sons to look around at their surroundings when we get to the water, and try not to wear any colors that are not seen there. The bright neon stuff that a lot of the kids wear may not help you blend in. The cool 52mm watch with a huge crystal and shiny links ? I fish in a 10 buck plastic watch with a gray cloth band.
Even more important to me is the position of the sun. Do you throw shadows around when you cast ? Again, part of being aware of your surroundings.
Have fun on the small water, and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:35 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Sling shot cast!