The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By yonder
  • 1 Post By yonder
  • 1 Post By ausablebrown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 12:46 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default HELP in South Carolina!

I'll be visiting my Grandparents in South Carolina for a week and like every good vacation, it wouldn't be complete unless I did my best to find a trout! Is there any trout fishing within an hour or so of Greenville SC???? If so I would be super appreciative of any information. Please hurry, I'll be leaving by Thursday!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:51 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: HELP in South Carolina!

Head north on hwy 276 for about an hour to Brevard, N.C...about 47 miles away according to google maps.......this will put you on the Davidson River and it's several tribs.....large, technical brown trout fishing down low, to wild rainbows and brookies up in the smaller creeks.....Davidson River Outfitters are streamside at the Pisgah Forest road intersection..... Also, I might add that we are getting all the rain we can handle so far this spring and summer, so be careful while wading. Here is a link to the Davidson River gauge......

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...GSP&gage=davn7
rccola712 likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

Last edited by yonder; 07-09-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:00 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
Head north on hwy 276 for about an hour to Brevard, N.C...about 47 miles away according to google maps.......this will put you on the Davidson River and it's several tribs.....large, technical brown trout fishing down low, to wild rainbows and brookies up in the smaller creeks.....Davidson River Outfitters are streamside at the Pisgah Forest road intersection..... Also, I might add that we are getting all the rain we can handle so far this spring and summer, so be careful while wading. Here is a link to the Davidson River gauge......

Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Greenville-Spartanburg: Davidson River near hwy 276 near Pisgah Forest
Yes, I've heard about your rain! I spoke with my grandfather yesterday and he can't remember a more precipitous year since he retired and moved there in '84. I'm much more interested in the wild brookies than any sort of tailwaters or stockers. Are you familiar enough to send me to one spot? I will likely have half of one day and I don't want to squander it all away looking for the water.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Asheville Fly Fishing - Hunter Banks Co. - Fly Fishing Shop of the South - Asheville, Western North Carolina
One Fly Outfitters - One of Western North Carolina's newest fly shops!

I researched a little around Asheville for a trip that didn't happen yet and kept these links. Maybe they'll help you...it looks real fishy up there and you could drop your family at the Biltmore House while you fish

-Mike
Old 07-09-2013, 11:03 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I will PM you this evening with a plan.......I will pull out my maps and other guides and try to give you some options......however I can't promise you a one hour driving time........ but, I will do my best!!!
mridenour likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 07-09-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
I will PM you this evening with a plan.......I will pull out my maps and other guides and try to give you some options......however I can't promise you a one hour driving time........ but, I will do my best!!!
Thanks, MUCH appreciated! You don't have to do too much work, just send me to a creek that you are CERTAIN has some trout in it. I'll have one chance, I just want to make sure I'm at least casting where there are trout!

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

I'm looking at maps and I see catch and release areas such as the Davidson, Panthertown, Flat, Upper Chatooga, Ceasers head, Jones Gap area. Anyone familiar with these areas? Will I find wild brookies any of these places?
mridenour likes this.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

When are you headed up to Brevard? I live in Asheville about 20-30 minutes away, and it's where I do all my fishing. Shoot me a PM if it's this weekend and I'll try to show you a few streams. If you like small wild streams they're everywhere up here. The Davidson is always a classic but it sees a TON of pressure!

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccola712 View Post
When are you headed up to Brevard? I live in Asheville about 20-30 minutes away, and it's where I do all my fishing. Shoot me a PM if it's this weekend and I'll try to show you a few streams. If you like small wild streams they're everywhere up here. The Davidson is always a classic but it sees a TON of pressure!
What about the smaller tributaries of the Davidson? Do they get pressured as much? Also, thanks so much for the invite and I would love to meet up to get a guided tour from a local (always the most productive way to learn an area) but I don't envision it working out really well. I'll probably be with the wife and two little kids when I head out to try and find some fish. Unless they get really occupied with something and just tell me to get a way for a day it will probably be a picnic, hike, with a couple hours of fishing thrown in here or there. That's kind of why I was looking for one spot that would give me the best chance!